Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Powder Blue Tang

Featured Replies

Hollywoods have got a powder blue tang that they have had for a couple of month with no white spot and eating well.

Question is to buy or not to buy? Your thoughts please.

How many of you have got one and had no problems with white spot.

do you like the fish fay??? if so go for it.

you've got the skill and experiance to care for it better than 99% of other marine keepers and probably one of the few tanks that truely offers the swimming space for fish like that.

  • Author

Brianemone

I haven't seen him yet going up tomorrow got to go up near the airport so got to visit fish shops.

Frog said to go and get something for my birthday so I would like something special fish wise :D

i saw him on monday and if my tank was up and running hed be sold already. im just getting my 1st tank together so no expert but he looked like a real nice specimen

  • Author

I want to be sure I am doing the right thing;

He is just under $200

The white spot thing

are they bullies (I have a butterfly fish, lemon peel and bicolour angle will they be ok)

anything else I sould know?

Fay - They are great fish.

Fay - Don't you have trouble with your water paramaters at times because you fish stocking levels are so high?

Pie

The Powder Blue Tang is a good example of just how beautiful a tang can be! The color of the Powder Blue Tang is bright light blue with a yellow dorsal fin and caudal peduncle. The face is darker and outlined in white. This fish grazes on algae all day long. The Powder Blue Tang is a delicate speciman and we do recommend that only advanced aquarists, or ones that have read extensively on this fish, take a chance at owning this fine speciman. Only one should be kept in a tank alone. Putting more than one of this fish in a tank, could lead to them fighting. Although it will eat just about anything, we do recommend a lot of greens. We also recommend keeping this fish in an aquarium of at least 180 gallons.

4e5a2564.jpg

  • Author
Pies Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:21 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fay - They are great fish.

Fay - Don't you have trouble with your water paramaters at times because you fish stocking levels are so high?

Pie

Not any more don't forget I upgraded big time on what I had :D

Fay, If its the one in Mt Roskill hes doing well regarding the whitespot be he is very skinny. I would advise quarantine first to feed him up if possible.

They ARE difficult fish to keep, but once you got a goody, they're all cool.

Make sure you watch him eat at HW first before you bag him up. They are gutsy eaters when healthy.

The guy there said he was eating. You might want to see if you can get a reduction beacause of his skinniness.

If it gets whitespot, its normal. try to keep temp at a stable 25 degrees to slow down the whitespot cycle. this will help it to battle it.

Good luck!

  • Author

Don't panic slappers they said he didn't have white spot, but I will check it out.

I don't like skinny fish either so I will be checking that out to.

I must admit he had no noticeable white spot to me, but that is nowhere near as important as his skinniness.

PBT are scaleless fish, so whitespot is normal in a captive environment. The whitespot grab on to scaless fish easily.

If a PBT stops feeding properly, its all over.

As long as he eats WELL while you there Fay, it should be fine.

The PBT will be sweet with everything else in tank also Fay.

Tangs are awesome...you'll get hooked!

Hi Fay

Its time to fess up and admit I have a PBT that is probably way too big for my tank. (Wait for the chorus of debate that my comments will start!) It was a chrissie present from wifie hence my hastiness to get hooked up with a bigger skimmer and everything else I could do to reduce the load in the tank!

Our PBT is about 5-6" long and is a pretty neat fish. Bigger than everybody else in the tank but very peaceful. Started off that the only thing he would eat was green flakes (eg spirulina) but now eats almost anything you drop in (even meaty types of food). Loves nori now.

We've had him over three weeks and he's had WS for over two of them :(

Dosing the tank with Stop Parasite and this, the cleaner shrimps, plenty of feeding, the blow of the stream, and my karma, seems to ease it. (I'm also taking a lot of optimism from people like cracker that we can get past it together!)

I wouldn't read too much in a tang not 'having' WS at a LFS - I suspect (with some degree of foundation) that tang tanks regularly have various degrees of copper treatment in an ongoing fashion.

Our 4 foot tank is okay for our PB at moment but an 6-8 footer is what him and I really need!

I have a PBT....very healthy...

It has whitespot mildly.......NORMAL!

Its actually quite good, It keeps the rest of the fish immune.

Over a long period I expect the fish to shake it...probably a year or two.

If you can get to 24-25 degrees it will help drastically.

Difficult with this heat i know.

Im running huge fans over my sump 12 hours a day.......

cant get below 26.

Still better than 28 though!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.