My Discus won't show his colours anymore

Cichlid lover

I have had my Discus for 3 years and when we saw him in the pet shop he lookee magnificant so we purchased him my first Discus he lived in his tank until he started to grow then i decided to get him a bigger tank and some tank buddies, i thought he was happy showing all his colours which are red, blue, cream body with black stripes and red eyes. but lately he just won't show his colours and stays at the back of the tank, i keep a well maintained tank and i just can't think what i am doing wrong please help.

Okay, I just looked at the pics and it looks like his body is dark and his tail is light. This is just a guesstimate as I have no idea what he looked like before he started hanging out back there. If he has darkened up as well as being reclusive/lethargic it possibly means that he's got an infestation. This could be as simple a solution as de-worming him or you could end up having to hit him with a whole range of meds to try and help him recover. Is he eating?

Otherwise, beautiful discus' and tank. Hope we can help!

Hi Cichlid Lover,

Tried to get your images working.. but no joy.

You had the "IMG tags in the wrong places.. but I think the prob is the size.

Looking at the ones on the site they are 1432X1197... FAR too big for here.

You need to resize them to the size in the guidelines.

Bill.

my guess would be too many tank mates, clowns aren't reccomended for discus tank mates as they are quite active when in groups nor any other fast moving fish, he may be bullied by the other discus too. but probably if he's darkened then he's not feeling well, is he eating???? it mite be the water quality have you changed the water, you said you moved house twice it could be the water supply also. something to think about.

Can't view your pic.

How big is your tank and how often do you do waterchanges.

Is it a BB or planted tank. Is the fish still eating and if not how long has it stop eating. Are the other discus harrasing him/her ? Is the head of the discus nice and thick or skinny ?

Lastly where are you from ?

Cheers,

Ronnie

I have resized the photos so hopefully this time it will work.

In answer to all the Questions:

-He is the King of the tank and is not bullied by anyone.

-He eats well.

-With saying i have movd houses twice the second time was back home with my parents and the water quality is perfect for Discus i don't have to do anything to the water before i put it in the tank.

-I don't have any clown loaches the loaches that i do have are snakey things and hide under the wood all the time, i was told by the place that i purchased them from that they were ok with Discus.

-His head is big but i would say that it was in proportion to his body.

-to Discus Guru i am the person that came into Pupuke Aquarium center on christmas eve with my partner to get some baby Discus we talked to you about this sight. Im from Hamilton.

?action=view&current=DSC02515.jpg

?action=view&current=DSC02512.jpg

still pondering but maybe if you check the water parameters, enough oxygen??? hows his breathing it may be gill fluke or worms and blueandkim suggessted, a good sign of this is long poos other than that the only thing i can think about is age, how old is he, i know that some fish lose colouration with old age in my experience. thanks