Argh...why do our fish keep dying?

Chookness

We have had nothing but problems with our fish dying since we set up our tank. Get the water tested regularly at Animates, do a 1/4 water change every 2 weeks and put in cycle, water conditioner and Melafix. Change white filter wool when we do the water change and rinse out the carbon and blue and green filters (as per instructions in the book that came wiht the fish tank setup.) We have had 4 rasboras,(from cotton mouth-which we treated and then left a month before getting any more fish) 2 neons and a golden barb die. Couldnt see anything wrong with any of them. The only things that seem to be really good are the swordtails. Hubby is getting pissed off as its costing too much. Feel like giving up!! Any advice would be great...thankies in advance:o)

You say that you change the filter wool everytime you do a water change. If you are changing all of it then that could be your problem as every time you remove the old wool you are removing the good bacteria that has formed in there to maintain the tank so in other words your tank is always trying to cycle. Next time you do a water change just rinse the filter wool in some tank water (in a bucket) and put it back into the filter.

If any of this is wrong someone Please correct me. Apart from that I can't see any other reason why your fish keep dying unless they were infected with something before they reached your tank.

Cheers

I would go one step further and say don't clean any of your filter, you should only need to rinse it in tank water once a month at most. You only need to rinse it when it becomes clogged and the flow is significantly reduced. If this is happening in less than a month your filter is too small or something is clogging it that shouldn't be, i.e. plants coming apart, over feeding, etc.

The temp is sitting between 25 and 26 degrees. I didn't realise when you rinse the filters (we have a blue, a green one, then the carbon and then the white wool one) that you do it in tank water! I have been rinsing it under warm tap water. In my instruction book it says to change the white wool piece that sits on top of everything else once a week. The lady in the shop said to only do it every 2 weeks when I do the water change. I understand how changing that and rinsing the other things will be causing a problem. Hey thanks for your advice.

You dont need to worry about the water conditioner, the Melafix or Cycle.

They are not needed at all, unless you are seeing problems.

Melafix has caused me major issues and others too.

If you see a bottle throw it in the bin....quick!!

What type of water supply do you have for topping up?

Water Conditioner and Cycle are fine to add, they won't harm anything (water conditioner will remove chlorine anyways so it's beneficial if her water is high in it). Melafix is uneeded unless your fish are injured as others have said. Also, as has been said, only clean your filter if the flow gets reduced! The main function of your filter is to harbour the bacteria that eat fish waste and if you rinse it too often or not in tank water then you won't have the bacteria there to do their job.

• 2 weeks later...

Get as many plants established in the tank as you possibly can, they are brilliant filters, I do not use a filter at all, just a fully planted tank and rgular 1/3 water changes, the tank flourishes.

Also if you possibly can, collect rain water, this is so much better than any water from a tap no matter what chemicals you add.

Cheers

Practical fishkeeping.co.uk is a brilliant site with all sorts of interesting articles. This is one on ammonia in the tanks - well worth the read -

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... cle_id=431

the author states that some of the causes of amonia poisoning are...

•New tank with insufficient bacteria.

•Filter has been washed in tapwater or an old sponge has been replaced.

•Disease treatments have killed the filter bacteria.

•Overfeeding.

•Overstocking.

•Insufficient filtration.

•Tapwater has not been treated correctly (chlorine or chloramine).

•Too many fish added too soon.

•Dead fish decomposing in the tank.

•Uncured living rock.

Some of this may help?

Cheers