coldwater fish

zoezealand

my grandparents in scotland have a coldwater slow moving stream/pond in there garden, and they want fish for it,

would goldfish/koi be allright in the coldwater (gets to freezing pt but no lower) or can anyone suggest a better alternative, someone suggested other carp spieces would they be fine

(also they have to be readily available, as there are only a few small pet shops that stock fish in the area)

thx

most of it is shallower, but there is a 60cm deep place, and it never freezes over (the water flows a bit)

the most common natives are trout, but i think they grow very big (and are not so interesting to look at)

others (found by google) include: pike minnow roach perch powan gobby mullet flounder lamprey sturgen salmon and eel

but i dont know if i can get to a river and catch something suitable before we leave on the 28th (and the picture of my 70 something grandparents trying to catch fish isnt really relalistic)

i think i read something about WCMM being warmwater (or semi-tropical), and so would they still be alright?

there is a subdivison in the pond, so i think ill get some commen goldfish and maybe either WCMM or natives

thx

we are going into town tomorrow, so i foned the local pet shops to check avaliablity (cuz of xmas and stuff);

both shops said that "we are out of pond fish, but have some common goldfish for coldwater aquariums," huh??

i know that fancy goldfish (orangas etc) need an aquarium as they are delicate, but provideing i lower the temp slowly wont common goldfish be fine for a pond even if they have lived in tanks??

i will get some tomorrow (9 tonight nz time) unless told other wise, so quick respone would be welcomed

cheers

kathryn

I take it that an "airport somewhere" is in Scotland??

In NZ we use the term "pond-fish" when we are trying to aquire KOI.

. :o

A 'naughty' fish in NZ although freely available from our biggest waterway.

A goldfish is a goldfish, is a goldfish.

They, not matter what their color or shape, are still Carassius auratus.

Ponding them, they will gradually revert back to dark coloured fish.

Don't be a coloured g/f in a pond.

You make a better target for a heron etc.

Alan 104