Amazon Tank

freshwest

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, ive just being reading about your tank, and was wondering if the reverse under gravel filter is working very well.

im in the process of setting up my new tank and was looking at doing something like this but wasnt sure if it would work very well?

oh and i love the tank!!! :hail:

Hi Quack.

The R/UG filter is working well. I have not had to clean the gravel which is what I was hoping would happen. The only problem I had with the original setup was the in line pleated filter was getting blocked to quickly and needed cleaning every week. Which is not my idea of low maintenance? I have since removed the in line filter. This has increased the flow through the R/Ug, which has created better water movement in the tank. The other thing I have changed is I have put a bigger pump in the sump and a larger wet dry filter as the sump filter now does all the mechanical filtration. The total flow through the tank now is around 6000L / Hr

All and all, I am happy with the set up it seems to be working well.

• 3 months later...

Oh my goodness .... I'm so impressed and extremely jealous. Well done Fresh that looks awesome!

I went to sleep last night wondering if I could manage with a two bedroom house ..... saw a large hole forming in the lounge wall .... into spare room (aka fishroom) ..... hehehe.

:o

Was gonna post a picture of my first tank effort but don't think I'll bother now ... :D:D:D:D:D

• 7 months later...

Very interesting thread. I might just come to you for a bit of advice. I am also setting up an Amazon tank soon. Mine is a little over 300 gallons (sorry, don't work in litres) anyway, dimensions 8' x 2.5' x 2.5'. I'll be using a 66 gallon sump filter as well.

. Your planted tank looks absolutely stunning. Because I will be keeping a couple of Oscars, I'm not sure how well the plants will do. We all know how Oscars like to destroy plants. I will probably give it a go and see what happens anyway.

Like I said, I'm sure you'll have a few tips for me. I run a 125 gallon tank at the moment, that seems very big, until you stand next to the 300 gallon

300-gallon-tank.jpg

Oscarfishlover, I'm currently keeping a teenage oscar in a planted tank and he's been fine, I know of others who are doing the same so it might work for you as well. Also I wouldn't really expect a reply because Freshwest hasn't posted on here in about 9 months.

last post at

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:00 am

i would love to know what the tank is like now :D

It’s been awhile since my last post (sounds like a confession)

Things have changed in the amazon, the pH has gone up, and the tanganikan s have taken over.

The tank is now the happy home of my frontosa colony (3males and 9 females).

I still have my discus, which are more than happy in their bare tanks (healthier). I do miss the plants, but the fronts more than make up for them with their personality and behavior. Here are some pics of the tank now. Sorry plant lovers.

P1020731.jpg

P1000057.jpgTank0806079.jpg