Help with choosing a new set up for my axolotl.

nemo's mom

:bounce: Over here!!!! Psssstttttt.... Can anyone tell me what sort of setup I should be getting for my axo please? Currently I have a small tank which is 35 cm long x 25 high x 35 wide. I am using an Under gravel Filter and also have a small air stone which is only JUST going as so not to stress him. I have just the one axo and he is now about 22 cms long and I think is too big for my current set up. I am doing regular water changes and also using Algae Rid, but my water seems to go green very quickly and my ornaments and plants are covered in what I assume to be algae? Its green and very slimy. Am new to axo's and if I am to be spending money on a new set up, would prefer to do it right. Help PLEASE??? :lol:

You'll want to get a 60cmx30cmx30cm tank for him at least, also what size of gravel do you have? It's best to have large stones with Axolotls because they can swallow smaller ones and get blocked up from them. Of course with larger stones that means you can't use an undergravel filter (unless you had large stones on top of smaller ones), you might want to try getting a sponge filter for the tank, they just run on air pumps and don't create too much flow. The green stuff is probably just a symptom of your tank aging (unless you have your light on for more than 10-12 hours a day - try cutting down on the amount of light until it goes away too) I would advise you to stop using algae rid (it probably stresses out your Axolotl and puts things out of wack anyways), just keep up with weekly water changes and you'll find that pretty soon the algae dissappears.

Just make sure your new tank has a few caves that he/she can fit in to hide in as well :)

Thought I would post a pic of Pedro and his tank. I gave in today and did a big no no (yes, I know!) and entirely cleaned out his tank. But I did have to shift the tank so it needed emptying anyway. I added cycle to it so hopefully pedro will be ok. He seems none the worse. I added some rocks for him to climb over and also clumped his plants in the corner so to give him more walking space. Are tunnels a must for Axo's? He is such a socialable guy and likes to come up to the glass to see you and I dont really have space in this tank until I get a new tank for a tunnel. Anyway, what do you think?

:bounce:

http://202.21.128.20/photoserver/12/15957412_full.jpg

I have two golden albino axies and just finished setting up a new tank for them. They used to be on a gravel base, but I hated it.

I have gone with silca sand as a base. It is far easier to keep clean than gravel and you can drop sinking foods onto it without having to worry about them eating gravel. (I used to feed them pellets on a stick and hand feed them heart)

On sand you do not have to worry. The axies literally gulp in food+sand and spit out just sand a second later. It is very funny to watch.

For Poo:

It can be difficult to find a turkey baster at times since kiwis aren't that fussed with them and therefore most places don't have them. (not that I could find) However, I use two large straws connected together instead. (I got them from a korean juice bar - about 3/4 inch in diameter)

You put your finger on the end and put the straw in the water. Let your finger off for a second and the water is sucked into the vacum. Put your finger back on and quickly pull the straw out. (I use a cup to catch the water before it drips out again)

Very easy.

On silica sand it is very obvious where the poos/muck is. This is what they used to look like:

twoaxies.jpg

Ok,there is a lot to be learnt about axies on here,I am a member and frequent user of this site http://www.caudata.org/forum/cgi-bin/show.cgi?793/793

Also Axolotl.org

I suggest you go there,everything you want to know is on there,and you can ask questions on the forums.

My first bit of advice is get rid of the gravel,they eat it and get blocked up,which is painful and kills.Also,a total water change is real bad,the cycling process causes ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph to all go up and down,which can cause stress.Your tank looks a bit small,and no,a tunnel isnt neccessary but bare in mind axies dont like light and have no eyelids,so they do need some shelter/hiding places.Sorry to jump in and bag you,but I am apalled at how little people know about axies in this country,and the lack of want to know.Good on you for asking!!