fishroom in the laundry room

shiuh

i am planning a fishroom in the laundry room. it is pretty much the only place that is available in the house. its quite small provided with a sink and i can pretty much keep heat and warm in there.

The aim is to breed guppies. i am going to have an overflow system to let the water drain out of each tank into the sink. then from tap, i will have irrigation connection to the tanks and have water slowly dripping down. a dripping system at 2LPH or 4LPH. so i can get away with water change in all 24hrs.

Pictures and diagrams coming soon. just at a planning stage though. trying to keep the cost as low as possible. hopefully i will only need a heater in the room, yes that means no sumps, no pumps, no aeration, no filtering system (i know this is bad) but it can be done, i think guppies can cope with this. they have done this on commercial bred show guppies in singapore.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who needs a laundry when you have fish. Sounds like a great project. I used to have a purpose built fishhouse where the whole room (12ft x 8ft with 40 - 50 tanks)was heated with a 1 kW heater. Had a drain in the floor to empty water into. I miss the convenience,but I sold the house and now we do it the other way.

Why would having no filtration system be bad when you are changing the water every 24 hours? I thought continual fresh water would be preferable.

Cheers

Judy - showing her ignorance again!

that is what i am thinking as well. with the continual change of water i dont need a filter or sump. but then i am thinking the built up bacteria in the filtering sytem might be good for the fish.

yes...all the nitrate built up will get removed easily. this is mainly the compound that slows the growth of the guppy frys.

i will be good to have a little sponge filter or undergravel filter to have bacteria built up. but i am thinking of skipping that see what happen.

i have also made a smaller tank just to test out this system. and added a few guppies in there, see how it goes.

ok. heres the brief design of how the it looks like. hopefully my diagrams can be read easily. the aim is to have automated water changing in 24hrs to keep the water condition good (promotes growth of guppies frys)and also to keep the running cost low in the short term and long term. no sump or aeration (but this can be added if desired.)a very small setup for testing purposes.

planreduced_size.jpg

a plan of the laundry room. the space is VERY limited!!

frontviewshaddedredueced.jpg

front side (this is where u go in the room and see the view)

system.jpg

back view. cant really see this from this angle. but i am just trying to show how the pipe connection works. easy huh?

what about purifing the water before it goes in?

bit of a cost i supose in getting the system,

could even run the water through some larger, i.e. downpipe, inline with sponge in it, just to take that little bit of extra crap out of the water.

Probably another $20 but could work well

what about purifing the water before it goes in?

bit of a cost i supose in getting the system,

could even run the water through some larger, i.e. downpipe, inline with sponge in it, just to take that little bit of extra crap out of the water.

Probably another $20 but could work well

this filter should do the trick. very low cost.

filter.jpg