NEW FISH!

mickey-tropical-fish-mad

I went to a fish shop today and my dad brought me 3 clown loachs and 5 penguin tetras they are beautiful! I cant wait for them to go into my main tank! Has anyone had any experiances with these fish? If so please let me know if they become agressive etc I know clowns become very big lol I dont know much about penguin tetras though im about to do a search but if anyone has advice please let me know

I've had penguin tetras and they never got aggressive. They chased each other a lot and they were very active, constantly zipping all over the tank. They seemed to appreciate having large areas to swim in.

I've never heard of clown loaches being aggressive. I know they can be shy and are out more if there is a group of them. I want to get some because I've heard they are really fun to watch.

Cheers

Jude

Your tank is newly set up isn't it Mickey? Clown loaches are very sensitive fish and need to go in to a well established aquarium that has been set up at least 6 months. They get white spot very easily but are sensitive to the medication for it so hard to treat. I think, if the tank is new, that you should ask the shop to take the clowns back for now or they will most likely die. :cry:

I've only got two clowns in my 4ft tank, I see them all the time and they even feed off the surface, so I guess some clowns are bolder than others. Like Caryl says watch for any signs of white spot, if they do get it treat the tank with Copper, not machelite blue or anything because they're very sensitive to that.

Hmmm. Interesting Caryl as I got my loaches about 2 months after setting up my tank cause I had so many snails in my tank that I had to get rid off. they seem to be as hardy as my other fish (ie discus)

Oh well guess i was one of the lucky ones. No whitespot "Yet" either :wink: