Moss?

Aqua

Hey all - I've just re-scaped my tropical tank, and I would LOVE some kind of plant to cover the rocks I've got in there... I've got some Java Moss, but that has only attached itself in portions to one rock, I'm looking for something to grow all over the rocks, and also something to grow like a carpet on most of the base of the tank (obviously leaving a reasonable amount as gravel, so my bristlenoses & peppered cats can still eat!).

And, I feel I have to announce this:

I'VE GOT A STAR!! WHOOPPEEEEEEEE!!!!

Sorry, I've got that out of my system now! :oops:

hahaha the ones next to our usernames... :oops:

Silly me, thinking everybody else is on the same wavelength as me! :lol:

So... What kinds of plants would be best for a moss, and would an entire ground-cover of plants be good or bad for my catfishes?

I can't get mini val or sag to take in my tank. Is there a trick? I have a good variety of plants going but have trouble with the little grasses... There is a NZ grass that took pretty easily in my tank but I don't know its name.. :oops:

Try Glossostigma. It is like a mini version of clover grass and grows really low to the gravel. Tenellus is another excellent low growing grass (25-50mm). Many of the other ground cover grasses get much taller and look out of place in shallower tanks (less than 500mm). It is great at the front of the tank with some of the taller grasses and mini val at the middle and/or back.

Hi Warren ... remember the small 'grass' I got of to to grow across the front of my tank? How do you keep it from coming out of the gravel all the time. I can't put lead on it as it is to small and delicate but it just keeps floating back up. I think my gravel is too coarse but thats what I have so I have to find other ways of anchoring it down.

i use plastic coated paperclips cut in half (like staples) to anchor my plants down until they root enough, then remove the staples..... it doesn't take the plants too long to get a grip... and the staples last ages so I reuse them.

Works well unless the brislenose really wants whats under that leaf..... :-?