ChCh tank maker

Pinkygirl

I have a tank that has been shodily put together - the glass isn't cut straight and silicon has been used to make up the discrepancies :o hahaa its pretty crap looking. I was thinking about having the glass re cut- and making a good job of it, but now I'm thinking that I would rather have a new tank with the same foot print - but much taller.

Unfortunately I'm not back to Chch till Jan 21, then off again 1st of Feb. So a bit of a problem with the glass ordering.

30 yaers ago I used to make half the tanks in Christchurch but I only make my own now. I don't mind showing people how. It is realy not that hard, its only a matter of getting the confidence through practice. I will be making a 1200x450x400 and another the same size but in 6 compartments after xmas and you are welcome to give me a hand if you want to organise something (and see how it is done). And shiuh is keen on making one as well.

cool good to see that we can get to gether and help each other out.

Sounds like i will need to get some glass.

Since i am new to this tank building thing will need some advice i'm looking at 1200mm long so will i get glass that is 10mm thisck? Also what sort of glass do i get from the glazier?

any advice would be great.

I would use 10mm on a tank 1200 x 460mm high. I have a contact to get it at a good price but you would need to order it soon because they will cut it over the xmas break. PM me and come around and see the choices before you order the glass. Also that size will be a lot easier to make with 2 people (awkward on your own) Shiuh will get away with 6 mm because he has partitions to give added support.