LED lighting

ghostface

I've had a lot of experience with both from modding computer cases back in the day. LED has a strong piercing light that seems to go deeper than CC. CC is good for background lighting but not really for an illuminating effect. I was at JayCar yesterday and saw a bendable blue LED strip (that's probably water resistant as well) with a molex (12V) power connector. My idea is to get a timed power supply to switch between the LED night lighting and the solenoid valve for a pressurized CO2 system. This requires a 12V solenoid rather than mains power, which I was able to find on eBay.

JayCar is pretty handy for electrical/electronic bits and peices.

I think the lighting would help plants about as much as moonlight would. No affect whatsoever. The whole purpose behind night lighting is to allow for late viewing of nocturnal fish and to give the fish some light during the night hours. In the real world fish usually have some illumination available to them 24 hours a day. In tanks in the average house they're subjected to up to 12 hours of complete darkness which results in the inability for nocturnal fish to see at night and for diurnal fish to sleep and still be aware of surroundings.

Thanks for the Warehouse heads up, guys. I'll be getting some strings and setting up night lights in the fish room now :)

Aqua: I like to have a pilot light on my planted tank so the fish don't get a fright when the main lights come on in the morning. I built it before the new flouro bulbs became available and they won't fit in it so I use a pair of 15 watt incandescent bulbs on dimmers. With growlux, daylight and incandescent I think it gives a good range of light frequencies. The plants are growing pretty well so something must be right. You can get an 8 watt flouro bulb which would have similar frequency to incandescent and cooler to run, but I don't think you can use a dimmer on them, so you may get algae problems with them running continuously.