A Horrible muddy colored algae...Help

rona207

:( Hi Am hopingsomeone can help.... I have a horrible muddy coloured algae in my tank.....grows like a fur over the plants rocks & ornaments and when on glass is like a spore...I have over the last few months ajusted lighting every which way, have tried algae treatments even with turning the filter off for 24 hours...... it just keeps on growing!.....Is something the algae eaters and pleco won't touch. HEEELLLLLP

OK I went and had a look. Rona has the dreaded black brush algae!!!! :evil:

Anyone managed to get rid of this without stripping the tank?

The following is an excerpt from www.thekrib.com in a disucssion on how BBA overtook one man's tank, after no problems for 3 years, and his attempts to get rid of it...

"It was an exasperating experience with many drastic measures taken (ie. UV water treatment for 3 weeks, Diatom filtering for days on end, assorted anti-algae treatments) lotsa advice was received but not much seemed to apply or work. From some of these rather radical tests did find out some interesting things about this BBA:

It has shown to survive a temperature range to 40 deg (F) to about 125 deg (F) as long as it has light.

Removal of light does not kill it it just suspends/retards its growth.

If a pile of it is removed it emits a real foul and pugnet smell immediately.

If you were to squish it between your fingers it seems to feel oily in texture.

Old Gravel with BBA on it that was used as a covering on several outdoor window box planters, retarded or limited the growth of the assorted outdoor pansys that were normally planted in them.

Old gravel that has wintered outdoors on the ground, put into a container with aquarium water and left in the sunshine, will exhibit new BBA growth within 4 - 6 weeks.

Tests at a LFS of every algaecide that they had, showed at best only a mild retarding of growth.

Water PH quality does not seem to affect its growth or propagation."

I found some sites said Siamese algae eaters would eat it and others said nothing would.

One man claimed to get rid of it using a syringe of hydrogen peroxide (although it also killed the plants).

Another site says use of CO2 gets rid of it.

If its the stuff that's dark (almost black) and kind of bristly, like beard hair, I had it in my planted tank in Texas. I got in a squad (like 10 or so) SAE's and they cleared it out pretty quickly. That's with me doing physical removal every day, as well. A cheap toothbrush is your best friend, it'll scrub all the nooks and crannies.

*sigh* I feel your pain, I'm fighting some gross algae, as well. The stuff that's like long, super fine light brown hair. If anyone has any suggestions for that variety (not to thread hijack), I'd love to hear them.

Good luck with your battle against the dreaded scourge!

I got it also. Came in on plants I bought from fish store AFAIK. :evil:

Bought two siamese algae eaters to help with the problem and they do a pretty good job. (they are the only fish that eat algae)

The reason, again AFAIK, for people thinking SAE do not do it is:

1) The adults tend not to eat as much algae and very much prefer fish flake. I have seen mine eat shrimp pellet also.

Solution: 6 corys that gobble up most flake residue before the SAE can eat too much.

2) Even the small ones cannot eat the large hairs and bad growth, only the spores and fur that occurs initially.

Solution: Remove the worst by hand, I would use my fingers to carefully rub the leaves of the plants to remove hair. (they feel oily and disgusting)

The toothbrush idea seems a good one, especially around the heater where the rubbish builds up.

The fish store guy sold me a bottle of plant fertiliser as a treatment. (flourish excel) Apparently if you give daily doses (2-3 times the recommended amount BUT NO MORE) for about 3-4 weeks it will kill off the algae. I ran a 2 week course (with physical removal) and the algae was well under control with the two SAE also.

To be honest, I have not been too worried about it lately since I stopped the fertiliser treatment. Algae help use up the nitrates in the tank and the SAE seem to stop an outburst.

I have heavily planted tanks (well I think so) and I have heard that these compete for nutrients witht the algae also.

I just checked and I only have a sparse layer of hairs on the back wall of the tank. Can't even see it unless you look. 8)

DISCLAIMER: This is just what I have done and been told - I am a newbie. I am sure there are others who know better. Wouldn't want to get ragged on for giving bad advice again... :roll:

Sorry to hear about your outbreak of BBA

The solution for me was

FLORISH EXCEL

Double dose the tank with the stuff. Double dose day one then wait one day and then double dose again.

Do not change water for a week.. longer if you can.

Does not harm fish... well discus, clown loaches, kribensis, guppies, Bristlenose (common and Golden )

But be careful if you have twisted val or riccia..... I had them but they melted away until I changed the water.

I did this only a month ago and the black beard algae got hit for a six.. only a couple smidgeon left on the glas but all gone from the plants.

Happy Dosing

Wok

She has so little plant left, mainly Java fern, that it wouldn't mattre wok.

Rona, I don't think I have ever seen SAEs in our garden centre shop. You also have to be careful as some that are sold as SAE are not at all but look almost identical, unless you know what to look for. One of them has the black stripe right through the body and the other doesn't but I can't remember which was which!

I will be in Nelson tomorrow Rona and will check the fish shops there. If they have some I will get a couple if you like.

Corys are Corydoras catfish. Most common are albino or leopard cats. Do a Google on Corydoras aeneus and C paleatus as they are the 2 most likely to be found in our local establishment. There are many others as well with a variety of different patterns and markings.

Flourish Excel will definalty work on removing brush algae

also a great plant food as well

I put 10 into a 4' tank in the shop that had it dissapeared within a few days

The difference between the real siamese algae eater and the False siamese algae eater is the real one has 2 small whiskers off the nose

the real one has a black lateral line and the false one has a gold lateral line above the black one

Brad

:cry: I miscalculated the litres in my tank and dosed the tank 5 times too much. I lost everything except my keyholes, fighters, bristlenose and kuhli loaches.....grrrrrrrrr....anyway have rescued these poor fish and seem to be coping...... The algaew has gone a greyish colour so guess it is dying....should I retreat with the flourish....would really like to get rid of it before re-entering the fish...I should I clean it off the glass?

Hi i also have black brush algae. Maybe we should form the BBA support group :lol:

it has never got to the 'brush' stage but it is like a black covering over my sword plants and other slow growing leaves - dwarf sag, chain sword, baby tears. I have triple dosed flourish excel for over a month and have 2 SAE and nothing has worked. :evil:

Maybe i should take my fish out and pour a whole bottle of excel in the tank... or try apple snails??

Stagger Lee, did you take out the carbon.

Did you do any water changes after adding the florish?

hi Wok, by carbon i quess you mean in the filter? Don't have any... as far as water changes go i just kept up with my usual 20% per week. Should i change the water more often??

i was starting to think the whole flourish excel thing was a myth started by LFS workers to get you to buy the stuff!

As Wok will know my tanks were fantastic BBA breeders, i tried the flourish excell which has helped, still using it at slightly higher than recommended doses, the other things that have helped is cutting feeding down to every second day and i've found BBA doesn't like water flow, an airline that was covered in it cleared up completly in a few days when i put an internal filter in with the outlet directed at the airline.

More plants will help use up excess nutrients but it's hard for them to get established before being coated in BBA.

Water Sprite works well either planted or floating as it grows very fast and isn't bothered by trimming off BBA coated leaves.

:cry: I miscalculated the litres in my tank and dosed the tank 5 times too much. I lost everything except my keyholes, fighters, bristlenose and kuhli loaches.....grrrrrrrrr....anyway have rescued these poor fish and seem to be coping...... The algaew has gone a greyish colour so guess it is dying....should I retreat with the flourish....would really like to get rid of it before re-entering the fish...I should I clean it off the glass?

God, sorry to hear that!?

Yes, the fishstore person said that anything over 3x was poisonous to fish. You have to be very careful.

I did double doses daily.

What I did with my tank a month ago was to:

Day 1 Double dose.

Day 2 did nothing but still fed the fish

Day 3 Double dose again

Day 4 Double dose

Day 5 Went on holiday till day 9

Day 10 did a 20% water change (most of the BBA was dead....

.... so was the riccia and twisted Val :evil: )

and even now there is little trace of it left.

Wow, a little late for this info. I had BBA in a 40 litre tank and after some research online I found out that Algae Rid (by aquarium pharmaceuticals) was the answer. I double-dosed three times and all the BBA was dead. It took a little while for all of it to clear off the rocks but it hasn't come back.

I tried several of the normal algae rids but didn't touch a single hair on this algae...... is certainly dying off now

Yes..well...mutually assured distruction is ONE way of killing algae!

You could also drain and then napalm the tank...that would do it. :o

I here dropping a large stick of potassium in a fish tank has a similar effect.

BlueandKim: Are you 100% sure it was BBA?