November 24, 200520 yr comment_76477 I would like to know if this is a bristlenose or a Pleco? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 870287.htm It looked like a Pleco to me, cause I have one and giving it to Blue Tom as he will destroy my Aquascape Setup. I also thought Bristlenoes grow to about 3ish inches. This person speaks about them growing to a foot, which I know Pleco's do...... someone who is authority on this should correct her if she is wrong...... or am I? Report
November 24, 200520 yr comment_76478 It is a bristlenose.A foot a bit over the top :roll: .But Female B/ns can get quite big say max out 17cm.Males tend to stop at 15cm.So ye not quite a foot. cheers Kyle Report
November 24, 200520 yr comment_76500 My bristlenoses have never grown that big. I have 8+ in my 250L and the biggest female (who is over 7 years old) is about 10 - 12cm and the males are around 8cm. Report
November 24, 200520 yr comment_76505 I love the "Your tank will easily house one of these fish as they will just stop growing when they appreciate they are the optimum size for the tank" LMAO The one in the pic looks like a b/nose to me but their friends at 300 odd mm will definetly be a pleco. Report
November 24, 200520 yr Author comment_76525 One of the chaps at Jansens said bristlenose only grow to a few inches, about 6-8cm.......anything bigger is a pleco like my one which I am donating to the "Bluetom program"....otherwise heel go harvesting in my big tank. He only a few months old and already about 10cm, a mushroom I tell you..... Report
November 24, 200520 yr comment_76598 Niloc has a huge bristlenose, not sure of the exact measurement of it but it's definately over 10cm if not 15. Report
November 25, 200520 yr comment_76667 Spot on the Kyle, and yes it would be 15cm, heaps bigger than my male which is about 10cm at at least 4 yrs old, i liken it to people, all shapes and sizes LOL Report
November 25, 200520 yr comment_76691 Hi Yes Ancistrus Family are on Planet catfish and Fish Base..Do search.. Gives sizes.. Most to about 150mm or the old 6'' Then check out Hemiancistrus, just more spanners in the works, to work out what is really what...!! :-? Tell your pet stores i have 900 Amazonia fish in Quarantine..see if faces glow.. Cheers Phill Collis Report
November 26, 200520 yr Author comment_76831 So guys, I'm sure some of your'll had a look at my tank in the members tank section. I'd like to know if I should stay away from Bristlenose as well for my tank? Report
November 26, 200520 yr comment_76848 I have heavily planted tanks and TONS of bristlenoses. The only problems I have is when a breeding cave is made. The males tend to uproot everything except swords (strong roots). Aside form that, there's never any problems with plants getitng uprooted as long as they've got good root structures. Have to run - nursing two discus back to health from shock after a bad transport... Report
November 26, 200520 yr comment_76851 Mine are about 6cm at the moment. So do you all think a B/N will go fine in his tank if so you wanting one simfish? I'll bring one tomorrow Report
November 26, 200520 yr comment_76862 I think a BN is the best suckermouth catfish for any planted tank, personally. Plecos can be plant eaters but BNs seem to only eat decayingplant matter, which prevents the rotting and release of ammonia in the water. They're overall great fish for planted tanks. 6cm... including tails? If you've measured them properly - not including the tails - you should see bristle development and can sex them. Females would be better as they don't make burrows but hey, hook him up with a pair and it'll be an ideal place for breeding - lots of algae and no predators. Report
November 26, 200520 yr Author comment_76883 Bluetom, Sounds good, I'll foster him for a while, if she manages to develop with the rules of the community, great otherwise I will have to send him back, therefore he would have had a great holiday and made many new friends... LOL! Report
November 28, 200520 yr comment_77114 In all the years that I have kept Bristle nose catfish, the only plants they ever harmed were Barclaya longifolia,,,,and they absolutely destroyed those overnight... I never thought that half a dozen B/N could eat 10 medium to large plants in 24 hours, but they did !!! Alan. Report
November 28, 200520 yr comment_77146 Something destroyed the star grass I had in my tank. I thought it was the barbs but now wonder.. Report
November 29, 200520 yr Author comment_77150 now I'm worried, hopefully the 50 kilo's of wood will keep him busy Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.