Simfish's tank

Brianemone

I would like to put various schooling fish (approx 10to20 of each e.g cardinals and other tetras) some loaches the ones that look like snakes.. flying foxes.... a couple of plecos..... 2 albino catfish for acrobatics.....and dwarf gourami's and blue rams and maybe a balloon platy or 2

Very nice start.

Some advice (taken from dupla's book 'the optimum aquarium')

a) Put a few fish in now (not too many) you can afford too loose (just in case) to help cycle. Guppies, mollies, platies whatever.

b) Put some (6 or more) Crossocheilus siamensis in (Siamese algae eater). Not to be confused with the flying fox (search google for pictures to help you identify (see http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/ ). These fish will deal with any red (beard/brush) algae. This is the stuff that looks like black hair.

Don't feed them much (or not at all) and they will keep the tank clean now in and the future.

Hey simfish very nice. I remember as a kid we used to have one of those Kuhli Loach's and we thought it was dead, but a year later found it in the middle of the night going nuts swimming from let to right around the tank. Cool fish though. We has lots of gravel and I think it just dug around during the day.

From that link aqua posted it sounds like you need a few of them to get them to come out of hiding.

Will love some discus in their, will investigate, thanks! I have notices some really really small snails, red, possibly hitched a ride on the plants, what fish should I get to complement the other future home owners to take care of these buggers so that they don't get out of control, or is their anything else you think which would work here?....Maybe I should call in the mafioso, half a dozen clown loaches?

Snails do a good job of eating left over food that has gone in to the shingle bed, do you NEED to get reed of them?? You might find with loaches that they dig up plants but I could be wrong. If no fish in tank can use copper based products or some old 1 & 2 cent cons to kill them..

Copper is used in a lot of remedies but I don't know the treatment times of hand. With using copper coins most of the snails will climb out of the water so u can just pick them out. Loaches don't like copper so I would be 2x50% water changers be fore putting anything in. I try not to use any thing that I don't have to so I leave the snails alone as they do a good job of cleaning up. They a probably feed of algae at the moment but once you get fish in there a lot will travel down to the gravel. Weekly water changers with a good gravel vac should keep them under control. If you have fish plants water and food you’ll get snails best to work out a way of controlling them with out chemicals as your question regarding loaches endeavor’s to do.

Humer just trying to point out that loaches aren't as hardy as other fish. My point was that they "didn't like copper" not that you can't use it. I get fungus Discus eggs and while I'ld like to do something about this ie copper I prefer not to use it as copper really isn't good for the fish but can be used.

Hey Simfish, yes if you have any 1 or 2c coins.

Discus are fine in 26-27 degree celsious temps only in some areas is it 28+ and only over summer so I have heard. I keep discus at 26/27 and have for months and they are fine.

The aquascape is easy on the eye, nice blending of the colour variations. The driftwood is a bit heavy on the left however and makes you lose depth. The eye judds to where it is raised in the middle so you might want to cut it off or adjust it, or wrap some java moss or similar around it to help it blend in. Get some more stem plants for the back area so it fills the dead area back left, and once they grow thick and bushy around the driftwood coupled with the foreground covering all the stones it will be looking really good. A lot of people think a flat substrate is better than a rolling one, but this is of course your preference, just something to keep in mind.

HTH

Luke, what good quality feed back with helpful hints. I keep my Discus at 28-30 and they are happier than 26-28 i have also lowered my pH to 4.2 in one tank to get rid of some problems i was having with parsites and they are looking so good now. Thank for sharing your good ideas with us.