HUGE Goldfish...

Richard

Has anyone visited Papanui Animates recently? I was there yesterday and they had this HUGE goldfish...the biggest I have ever seen in my life... it is the size of a small football... I would say about 7 or 8 inches in diameter.... maybe more... I think it is a bit too big for itself.... it was just lying there at the bottom of the tank not moving at all...quite funny...

They also had some nice chocolate striped catfish there for sale... and another fish which I have no idea what it is... it is still a small baby... but it is thin and long... with a long nose.... looks quite nice...

It was a goldfish for sure... round like a ball... a fantail i think.... koi's are more longish.... and yup... they are banned in nz... while i was back in malaysia a couple of weeks ago... i saw a lot of huge japanese koi's... in ponds in hotel lobbies... in a couple of friends houses... and in a chinese temple... the biggest I saw was more than 2 feet...

Wow 2 foot. We have 3 koi. The biggest is about 15 inches, makes the big goldfish I have look like sprats.....

I don't think they're particularly attractive, maybe I just got some duds. The orange one is cool but the marbled ones are so-so. Nice having such big fish though.

They are in with about 40 goldfish and they all get along together fine.

Before I say this, I am in the UK and Koi are not banned over here. I have a relative who has a Concrete Koi Pond with wel over 30 koi, ranging from 6 inches to about 3 foot. He has some real nice ones, which he isolates from the rest for breeding. He has kept them for about seventeen years now. Are Koi the most expensive fish, I think there are but I'm not sure about it, I've seen ones in LFS for £2500 + and thats just in the small outlets.

Just thought I'd contribute to the conversation.

Regards,

Matt

Koi are so common over here that I've seen them sold as bait. When the rivers flood they are so prolific they can clear paddocks of grass!!! I had a friend who would regularly head down south when the rivers swelled to catch them with a fishing rod!!! Really good fight on light line.

Mine aren't going anywhere fast and I guess they are all same sex since they've never bred.

$2500 !!! Thats a lot of bait :wink::wink:

peety

Well, I can understand the reason why they are banned in NZ.

We don't have any problems like that over here, probably due to the fact that Koi are quite difficult to get hold of, due to their price.

Just out of interest, do you like or approve of Koi, or do you 'bear a grudge' against them?

If you were allowed to keep them, would you?

Just curious, don't want to cause any upset or arguments,

Matt

Koi taste awful !!!

Now if you called it a trout and made it taste like a trout i guess the powers-that-be would let them stay .... o yeah ...they did :wink: (and they feed on all native species in the lakes and streams.)

Everything introduced to this country stays because of judgements made by those who have an interest in it.

Beauty or asthetics don't pay the bills. Realistically I don't think I agree with introducing any species. Every country has enough unique and beautiful fauna and flora that if you spent time looking at it then you'd be pleasantly surprised.

But then, I can't go down to the beach and bring home a baby crayfish, or snapper and drop it in my tank either (maf reg's about size and species restrictions, but netting and commercial fishing kill em every day).

The worst offenders of imports are grass and pine trees!! Forests and paddocks where there used to be bush (sigh). But ya gotta pay them bills. And ya can’t sell a view overseas.

Rabbits, possums, deer, we’ve got em all. I don’t have a grudge against any, just the idiots who brought them all here in the first place.

Now these species are here we live with them, I like my Koi and respect nature enough not to introduce them to the waterways. I wish the same could be said for people who dump their “legal’ cats in the wild, that turn feral, and kill the native birds and lizards.

Rant rant rant……

Now if we could start exporting the things…… :wink::wink:

peety

I would probably keep them if it was legal to do so as they are quite a pretty fish but am not worried about them being banned. I am quite happy for them to remain banned here.

So Peety are you saying you went and caught yours from one of the local waterways?

I know they are a problem up north.

Now if you called it a trout and made it taste like a trout i guess the powers-that-be would let them stay

The spreading and introduction of trout into new water systems has been banned as well. Although trout do eat the native species they do not totally destroy the habitat like Koi do. And in most waterways trout and natives live side by side (although admittedly some native species are at reduced numbers). Koi feed by shifting through the mud for food and create the same water conditions that you would if you stirred up the gravel in your tank everyday.

Exporting them would be great. Unfortunately it would also be illegal! If you catch one you have to kill it, even putting it back would break the law. The Dept of Conservation is pretty strict on Koi carp.

So Peety - Shhh you didn't make these posts. They are just giant goldfish in your pond that practise birth control :wink:

A summery of the regs are below:

Unwanted Organisms (Biosecurity Act 1993)

It is illegal to release, spread, sell or breed unwanted organisms. There is a $100, 000 fine or five years imprisonment for people caught doing so.

Noxious Fish (Freshwater Fish Regulations 1983)

People who possess, control, rear, raise, hatch or consign noxious fish without authority are liable for a fine of $5000.

More info about the Koi problem is at:

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Conservation/002~Animal-Pests/Pest-Fish-(Freshwater)/Koi-Carp.asp

this will create a ruckus but...........contrary to popular belief, eels dont eat trout and trout dont eat the majority of native species (although smelt and crustacians are a part of their diet).

FYI did you know that New Zealand once had a native salmonoid species. There was a native grayling in NZ but it was wiped out in the 1860's-1870's before trout were introduced. Mainly wiped out because it was regarded as a food source and maori who had been harvesting this species for generations starting harvesting for sale to settlers.

Many of the NZ native species are wetland and small stream dwellers, loss of these areas have decimated the population.