Discus with Siamese fighter

Sharlz

You can put them together but you would be running a risk of damaging either fish. Fighters are cheap to replace but do you want to take the risk of loosing your discus. Siamese Fighters have the tendency to want to FIGHT anything that has fins and scales. So you might want to think about it....

Barney

you've got to be joking?

Siamese Fighters have the tendency to want to FIGHT anything that has fins and scales.
that's the biggest load I've ever heard. I've had 5 different males now in with guppies, agassizi's, albino and peperd cory's, B/N's, GBA's, and blue steel apostogram's and the only thing any of them ever hasteld was the recent purchase of black taild male guppies. I've never kept discus, and at those prices, that wont be changing anytime soon. If you're serous about it and no one here has atempted it before best advice I'd give would be make sure you have a breeding trap, don't let the betta roam freely at night (that's when my black guppie got munched), and observe, observe, observe. also make sure that your LFS is happy to take back the betta if you run into problems in your first week. just some suggestions, hope it helps.

I tend to Agree with MSRkz. There names seem to cause a general misconception among a lot of aquarists, in the past I have kept males in with other males, no problems, most males infact, I find are quite placed.

hi, bad idea, fighters can carry all sorts of bug's and bacteria.

I hate to tell you this, but alot of fish, not just fighters "can" cary bug's and bacteria. This includes Discus. Thus the reason for qaurintine

Shae

hi,

yes all fish carry bug's and parasites,BUT some more than others.discus included.

but when you have worked in a import quarinteen facility for a year or so you soon learn what fish bring in more problems,why do you think there is a shortage of them,very hard to bring through the six week quarinteen, and yes when you get them they are hopefully clean. but not before alot of work has gone into them. but yes they are not the only ones.

there is alot of work/treatments etc that go into getting happy healthy fish in peoples aquariums.

did you know fighters in singapore are kept in cut in half coke can's, and a kid is payed to walk up and down topping up and waterchanging till they are exported.

shelley

I thought the betta we get here are nz bred!

I've never had problems with them in a community tank - more a case of protecting them. However I have no idea about discus but can't see there would be a problem. They do well in a well planted tank at 28*

Also have just recently learned the value of a little quarantine tank - having had an outbreak of whitespot from recently introduced plants! Good luck

hi,

yes all fish carry bug's and parasites,BUT some more than others.discus included.

but when you have worked in a import quarinteen facility for a year or so you soon learn what fish bring in more problems,why do you think there is a shortage of them,very hard to bring through the six week quarinteen, and yes when you get them they are hopefully clean. but not before alot of work has gone into them. but yes they are not the only ones.

there is alot of work/treatments etc that go into getting happy healthy fish in peoples aquariums.

did you know fighters in singapore are kept in cut in half coke can's, and a kid is payed to walk up and down topping up and waterchanging till they are exported.

shelley

Have you ever considered the fact that Bettas might just be less hardy? especially if there kept in conditions, such as you've mentioned, before being shipped off, And it is for this reason that they are sick, or perhaps, poor water conditions, attributed to the "bug's" they bring with them.

Shae

A lot of imported fish are pretty stressed out on arival, particularly from Singapore. There is a pretty high demand on land and water and therefore Singapore acts more as a transfer station holding fish that have been bred in surrounding areas where there is cheaper land for fish farms. Water is also at a premium so doesn't get changed that often and fish are usually overstocked. Not many people in NZ have the patience to breed good quality fighters and take them to full fin development before selling them.