What's a good hydrometer?

Aqua

Hey guys :)

My boyfriend and I are going to start a brackish tank up, and we know we'll need a hydrometer, but we're not sure what we're meant to be looking for!

One of our friends has told us not to bother with them as they're terrible to try and calibrate etc...

Any ideas? :)

If you're like me, you'll break them wherever they are, and it ends up costing more in the long run than if you had have go the reflectometer in the first place.

I have never broken one. I would go the swing arm type. We sell the Red Sea one for $29.95. Refractor would be $100+. If you feel like spending the extra go dor it.

I think the refractometers are really worth the money, i have seen so many tanks having problems and it always comes down to the basics like salinity.

So far almost all the hydrometers i have tested have been incorrect .

Spending additional money to get a refractometer is really worth it and you wont regret it.

Hydrometers just dont stack up.

The swinging arm type are faulty....I had one and after getting a refractometre I realilised that the salt in the tank was out by 13 points...so instead of the reading being 0.025 on the swinging arm type the reading on the refractometre read the salt as 0.037!!!! So dont bother getting a hydrometre....you need a refractomtre....about $150.

I would imagine it would be luck of the draw if you get a good one or not. Maybe they could have a package deal "seio pump&swingarm hydrometer" lucky dip. :D

If its crap I'll take it back and get a good one. Will the pet store test it with a refractometre? Is it true you can get them to test your water for free?

I'd personally go with a floating hydrometer. Seems like it'd be more repeatable and you can just toss it in the tank, see what it reads and take it out more easily. Mine compared to my refractometer was only off a little, .001 or something, that should be just fine for a brackish tank.

I'd personally go with a floating hydrometer

i wouldnt recommend it at all. my last hydrometer was 0.003 out. salinity is very important to keep right. take for example scatman's tank (no offense to him here, he didnt have a refractometer at the time) He was having problems with corals dying - I checked his salinity with my refractometer it was 1.031, corals getting burnt! this is probably more important on a smaller tank than larger, if you dont get your topup right then salinity can swing more (yeah yeah, more evaporation on larger tanks but still the proportion is greater on smaller tanks!) this is not something you want to cut corners on, especially if you are investing money on nice corals, then be smart and invest the money on the right equipment to test water parameters. that includes quality test kits like salifert too!!!

How much for the floating ones?

you can have my old inaccurate one!!! :lol: