Backswimmers!

HummingBird

I've got some Hornwort in my WCMM breeding tanks just because it's a fine leafed plant that they'll like to lay their eggs on, well it turns out that there were some Backswimmer eggs, and these hatched at about the same time as my WCMM eggs. I thought I had caught all of them but two eluded me, and I just witnessed a 2mm Backswimmer holding onto and presumably injecting venom into a 1mm baby WCMM! When I started to chase it with a net it let the baby go but it was already dead :-? so beware backswimmers everyone!

They are two different things - I just finished a 2nd year entomology paper lol. :)

Back swimmers actually swim on their backs, while water boatmen dont and are a little more rounded. They are actually quite hard to tell appart even when they are next to each other.

Hey! Hornworts cool :o ... best plant for raising baby fish :D just watch the growth ... but to the boatmen/back swimmers ..

which one is a mid/top water dweller ... have seen these guys attack mossie larvae .... the bottom dwellers look like they carry a shield on their back and anchor to the bottom ... the midwater I always thought where boatmen and bottom dwellers as back swimmers but goin' by posts must have it around the wrong way.. hmmm am I wrong here ??? :-?

and lets not mention damsel/dragonfly larvae ... or the cool little red swimming spider like dudes... ( ah .. memories) .... 8)