Table top Stregnth

slash

Didn't you take wood-work at school?? :P

A cleat is a narrow piece of wood, prolly about 25mm to 50mm wide, 25mm thick,and approx 400mm long,

not "L" shaped, rectangular.

and running under, and hard up against the underside of the shelf.

PVC glue, and screw, this to the walls of the table, and the glued to the underside of the table-top.

It will then make a better support for the ends of the table-top.

Also make sure to add more nails to the back cover of the unit.

This (the backing)acts as a brace for the unit.

You'll need extra fastenings on the whole perimeter of the backing,

as well as the walls that go thru from front to back.

Failure to do this, could result in the whole thing collapsing in a sideways, diagonal movement.

Alan 104

Failure to do this, could result in the whole thing collapsing in a sideways, diagonal movement.

No one wants this to happen!!! :o

You could also use steel cleats, but that could be an over kill, and you would need to screw fix it. The only benefit is that it’s less likely to be visible when opening the cabinet door, as the cleat is 'L' shape. It also wouldn’t have to run the full length of the corner that you would be fixing it to, using two cleats at each end around 50mm wide with four pre-drilled fixing holes.

the only thing i would suggest woud be extra supports in the middle.

The span between each end and the single support in the middle is about 85cm. IMO that is too too wide... If you took out the center support, replaced it with two (or 3) supports at about 50cm centers (or 43cm if you go for 3 supports) you might be better off... use the doors and put one at each end. Shelves (or drawers) in the middle and your all done!

And add the cleats as suggested.

Hey #2 thought - ok so i am bored! And i am in the process of making a stand for my 5 footer ( wish i had a pic would make explaining much easier!!)

Alan correctly metioned the back acting as a brace to stop diagonal movement of the stand. You questioned if you needed to so anything about 15mm extra width...

Is the back made of quite flimsy material? Hard board? If so you could replace it with a backing board of 16mm material which will add strenght and give you your extra 15mm width!

or would this vanity, which would work better, i thought the vanity because of the top surface being the granite like surface

I think that you will find its custom wood under that surface. I wouldn't trust it. Personally.

For what you want to do, I would go out and get it custom done in a steel stand with plywood insert. Once it has a clear coat, it won’t rust. Then when you have the funds fix any exterior surface you want, e.g. kitchen formica, ply wood, timber veneer. (currently I’m getting two steel custom stands made)

I have an old kitchen sink unit for a 1350 x 450 x 450 tank

Yo don't need to fill in where the sink or basin is

But watch that there is no little upturn on the edges to stop water overflow, of the vanity.

By the way, the CLEAT goes under the other top.

Re-read my other post

Alan 104

how much did it cost u for the steel frame? ?

The cost, I can't help you with that as I will get both of mine constructed for free. :D

A commercial building I drew up needed a lot of steel work for a steel portal frame. So when I talked to the custom steel people, they helped me out with a couple of stands. So I will have to give them a box of beers, or something of that nature. Sketch something up & go out and get some quotes, then you can get the design you want. :D

also how much weight can a wood house hold?

,as iam not sure iam going to go under my basement(well notreally as its jsut the ground) and place big supports , shud this work fine?

iam gona put like a big plank of wood on the ground,

then place about 5 or 10 6x4 vertically (over this is another big plank of wood) so would be something like this

Tank is about mayb 60 or 70kgs now :S?

And its a 450L tank, + gravel manyb 20kg + Table mayb 80kg??

Total about 600kgs

Would this work? tank%20grounding.JPG

Try more like 100-150kg+ for the gravel depneding on the depth and type...

My eight foot tank (2400 x 820 x 670) has 750kg of gravel in it. I know there is exactly this much as I bought 20 x 25kg bags of it and used 15 of them...

yes but ur surface area is 240x67 = 16080cm2

mines 170x50 = 8500cm2

16080-8500 = 7580cm2

8500/16080 = 52.86%, your bottoms surface area is 52.86% bigger

So might a 70kg bag do :S? iam not sure, just made some stuff up to compare sizes lol :D