Stress coat.. Stress Zyme? AND Cycle :)

T

Stress Coat is supposed to remove cholrine, neutralize chloramine, detoxify heavy metals and replace the slime coating, Stress Zyme is similar to Cycle but not sure which is better as i just use fish and water changes to cycle. I only use stress coat if a fish has some sort of damage to it's scales.

I don't add anything for water changes now either just plain tap water but depending on where you are located you may need to.

You possibly don't NEED either....but I like to use Aqua Plus and Cycle. And when I buy fish I always feel more happy with the lfs if they put a squirt of stress coat in the bag.

Definitely I have found aqua plus helps my fish settle after a water change. As for cycle I have just added it to a 2 foot tank I set up today (no fish to cycle it yet and clean filter media so want to give the cycle a helping hand before adding my poor old guinea pig cycling fish)

You possibly don't NEED either

I agree. I have to use "Start Right" when I do a water change as the water here contains both chlorine & chloramine.

But I'm starting to get leery about adding anything to my tanks only as a last resort and only after checking with the knowledgable folks here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, new here and just taking a look around.....

Having been to a Hagen Trade Conference/Seminar thingy, the concept behind 'Cycle' compared to other similar products is rather clever.

Based on the principles of competitive exclusion, when added regularly it can actually promote a healthier body of water. It will by no means cycle your tank for you, but will add the bacteria essential to start up this process.

Theres a page about it on the Hagen website, http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/info_sheet.cfm?CAT=1&INFO=43, and the evidence presented at the conference was pretty impressive.

Just thought I'd mention lol.