Where to get glass/cut glass for a sump.

Feelers

Hey all, just got a nice new tank perfect for a sump and was wondering where to get the glass to make the baffles ect. I dont think new glass would be worth it, so anyone have any suggestions? (Im in chch)

Also I bought a glass cutter but tried it on a small peice of glass and it didnt seem very easy, so I figured getting it done by a glass company might make more sense, what is a reasonable price for getting glass cut, for example i'd be looking at maybe 3 - 50x30 cm peices.

Also does the glass have to be thicker than window glass if its used in the sump?

the tank is 66x40x30 cm's

Thanks

well if your lucky,and find a realy nice happy glaiser,theyd probly cut it for you for nothing...

but having said that,first you need to find one :lol:

its realy easy to cut glass,all it takes is practice and patience,well probly a few other things too, but practice makes perfect.

remember to use a "straight" straight edge, an oiled cutter,and a flat surface like carpet to cut on.

run the cutter along the cut to lubricate it a couple of times,

and then start at the top edge, just so that the cutting wheel is just over the edge of the glass,apply pressure and draw back maintaining pressure over glass to the oppisite edge.

to break slip a small pencil under edge of cut and apply even downwards pressure on both sides of the cut,errice(sp)edges and there you have it a fresh cut piece of glass. :D

hope this is helpful...

Tim

Need to be a little careful using old glass, it can be harder to cut as it is more brittle and might have other scratches, weak spots etc.

Is there any reason you aren't looking at perspex? its far easier to work with, you can cut it with a saw, file it, drill it, etc etc, its no problem to silicon into a sump because you have equal water pressure on each side so there is no strain on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If anyone is going to cut glass, get your self a decent oil filled cutter. The cheaper metal ones with just a wheel are pretty useless!

Also, the thicker the glass, the older the cutter you want. So to cut 3 or 4mm a brand new cutter is fine, but if you want to cut heavier glass an older cutter is much better

If anyone is going to cut glass, get your self a decent oil filled cutter. The cheaper metal ones with just a wheel are pretty useless!

This is true, BUT I use a plain old metal wheel cutter and have absolutely no probs at all, and it is far more reasonably priced, for the home jobs and if you arn't cutting much, or doing it regularly.

B

Shiush i have to agree with waylow, having used those little metal glass cutters and then useing the oil ones, with so many problems from the little crappy things i would never ever cut glass for a good tank with the cheap ones, do yourself a favour, don't cost yourself extra money by making a bad cut and wasting the glass, get an oil cutter.

Shae

try putting a thick piece of electrical wire instead of a pencil(can make nice and long).the cuts run off because of a small skip in the scribe (it only has to be very very small)or uneven preasure while scribing and sometimes because it just wants to ---- you off (older glass)never used a oil filled cutter in my life and i cut all day,but i have machines.if you want to cut a bit try getting a cheap tile cutter.thay have a cut and break system.only prob is a cheap one is normaly only 300 to 400 long, big ones are very pricey 1250mm cut is about $1000