My breeding Angels DEAD

LYNDYLOO

Got up this morning to find my pair of breeding Angels DEAD :( , what could have gone wrong, I moved them into a 2ft tank, as they had layed eggs on the power filter, so i moved that too, I filled up the 2ft tank with water from me 4ft community tank, and took the power filter (1000per/hr) out of the community tank and put it in the 2ft, everything was going fine the eggs had hatched and Mum and Dad were doing a great job.Had thought about taking Mum and Dad out of the 2ft and putting them back into the 4ft last night, now I wish I had, then maybe this wouldn't have happened :( Thought I'd test everything this morning and the readings are Ph 6, Nitrates 10, Nitrites 2,

Ammonia 1, not sure whats go wrong, is the tank cycling maybe? Have read about the tank spiking, maybe this has happened, sooo many questions and I have no answers,I placed a piece of driftwood and some plants into the tank last night, thought this would be good for mum and dad to hide their babies in,could this have something to do with it ?Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks Lynda :-? :(

Awww, am truly sorry to hear this. Not a nice way to start anyday, let alone a Sunday. Hopefully some of the fry will survive tho!

It sounds to me like something has polluted / poisoned your water. Had it been stiing around empty for a while before you filled it up? The driftwood you put in last was out of the four foot tank? Was the tank cleaned with a bad cloth? If the tank was empty, had fly spray been sprayed in the room at some stage? Other than some kind of contaminant being in the tank (and standard tests are unlikely to pick it up), I have no idea. Sorry.

Geez Lynda... Really sorry to hear about this, as they seemed to be doing real well.

Just wondering about the gravel that was in the tank.

Was it in there when you transferred the water from the four footer..?

Did you wash it first... or had it been stood a while..?

Strange that "both" adults died overnight... did any fry die...?

Bill.

Thanks for the replies guys, yes awful way to start the day, the tank had sat outside for a while, and the gravel was already in the tank when I bought it inside, then I transferred the water and the power filter from the 4ft into the 2ft, the driftwood had also been out of the tank for awhile, as for the babies, don't think there's much luck of them surviving if the perfectly healthy parents have been wiped out, feeling terribly sad right now :cry: , I don't see any babies in the tank, should I do a water change and leave this tank set up for awhile, to see if any babies appear? Once again thanks a million for your help, spose this could be looked at as a learning curve, as they say you learn by your mistakes, not that I really know what those mistakes are. :hail:

Bit hard to accept at this time Lynda.. but my guess is that it "was" the gravel.. moreso than the driftwood.

Gravel sat in a tank outside (if it was used gravel).. was bound to be pretty stagnant beneath the surface, and even when stood just a few days without full water cover, it can get pretty smelly.

The readings you took look pretty bad as well.

Also hard to say... but I would cut your losses and save any fry that you might see... then do a full stripdown.. boil the gravel or dump it... and set it up again.

Bare tanks have their bonuses in that you can control the situation much better. Power filters in these situations are not the best either, and a simple sponge filter will often cope in the smaller tanks.

Hope you find another suitable pair, as watching the Angels with their young is a great sight.

Take care,

Bill.

Thanks for the sympathy guys, I'm feeling quite gutted right now, but as they say, try and try again, which I will, when I find another suitable pair.

Thanks for the input Bill, will strip down the 2ft tank, and maybe just keep it as a bare bottom tank, with just a small sponge filter, thought I was doing all the right things, never mind, as I said before, we learn by our mistakes, I will keep on trying untill I SUCCEED .

Once Again Many Thanks Lynda :hail::(