The Ultimate "DSB vrs BB vrs Anything Else" Poll

Feelers

Scroll down for the QUESTIONS

You guys crack me up, DSB's vrs BB will never be sorted one way or the other, but it keeps popping up over and over. Jettin suggested a new thread because yet another persons thread got assimilated, so here it is.

This argurment's not all that productive, its the major polarising issue in reefkeeping and unfortunately there isnt much more than annecdotal evidence passing around(scientific papers are few and far between). Maybe it might make an interesting masters thesis....

Why dont some of the long established DSB tank owners take out some sand and test it for builtup nutrients ect, possibly get them tested by a university ect, it would be interesting to see, and a lot more useful than arguing.

Can this forum do a proper poll ? (the ones wtih mulitchoice options and fancy bar graphs ect)

I'd like to see the percentage of people using each method, and how many peoples tanks have crashed ect, and if they are happy with their system.

You guys are a little rough on each other and I rekon that definately puts newbies like me off, - the answers to my first post scared the hell outa me :D

I cant figure out whether this site can do those cool poll things so how about these

THE QUESTIONS

1.What system of sand bed/ non sand bed do you use?

2.Why did you choose this?

3.a)Asthecticially which type do you prefer?

b)practically which do you prefer?

4.Have you ever experienced the "crash" if using a dsb? What happened?

5.Are you happy with the current system you are using?

6.What are the benefits/negatives you have found when using this system?

7.Have you ever changed/considered changing your sand/no sand system? If so Why?

8*.Labour or National :D

Note: * denotes an unrequired and meaningless question.

Its totally anecdotal, but there might be some interesting aswers/results.

I'd laugh if there was a correlation between political affiliation and sandbed preference, I'm swaying towards DSB personally but I'll see after this...

This argurment's not all that productive, its the major polarising issue in reefkeeping and unfortunately there isnt much more than annecdotal evidence passing around(scientific papers are few and far between). Maybe it might make an interesting masters thesis....

Bomber has posted more scientific papers that I think anyone would ever care to read. For a very good list of these:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=5754779#post5754779

BB

Ease of maintanence, i can see how things are.

3.a)Asthecticially which type do you prefer? Shallow sand bed

b)practically which do you prefer? BB

4.Have you ever experienced the "crash" if using a dsb? What happened? no

5.Are you happy with the current system you are using? Yes and no, Yes i think it helps me maintain a better water quality than i could with a sand bed and no because at the moment it doesnt look to flash

6.What are the benefits/negatives you have found when using this system?see answer 5

7.Have you ever changed/considered changing your sand/no sand system? If so Why? see question 5

8*.Labour or National Cees would growl me if i answered :lol:

BB

Laziness. Couldn't be bothered cleaning the sand and putting it back into the tank, after having to move house.

3.a)Asthecticially which type do you prefer?

SSB, but the bb look is growing on me.

b)practically which do you prefer?

BB

Yes. Hair algae growing on the rock in a remote DSB.

5.Are you happy with the current system you are using?

Yes

Major positive - Pest flatworms can't survive, Negative - cooking rocks in tank is not the best.

7.Have you ever changed/considered changing your sand/no sand system? If so Why?

Nope

8*.Labour or National

ME :wink:

1.What system of sand bed/ non sand bed do you use? dsb 5 inch

2.Why did you choose this? curiosity and looking on the net / Wanted to try it

3.a)Asthecticially which type do you prefer? I like all of them if the tank is nice

b)practically which do you prefer? All work its a matter of choice

No

5.Are you happy with the current system you are using? Yes

6.What are the benefits/negatives you have found when using this system? Benefits the tank was to deep now I can reach the bottom no negatives yet

7.Have you ever changed/considered changing your sand/no sand system? If so Why? Yes at leat twice a week have read so much for and against. Really like the look of zeovit and bb so maybe in the future also the advice from the more experience guys here, have warned against it. But the results are excellent so if it isn't broke don't fix it , My tank is 18 months but very happy / Will have to take some photos soon

8*.Labour or National O don't vote it only encourages them

shallow sandbed, about 1/2" in display, 1" in refugium

Aesthetics, no other reason.

3.a)Asthecticially which type do you prefer? Shallow sand bed

b)practically which do you prefer? BB, easier maintenance

5.Are you happy with the current system you are using? Yes and no. Yes coz it looks good, no coz its harder to keep clean.

Likewise, see 5.

7.Have you ever changed/considered changing your sand/no sand system? If so Why? Yes, BB for maintenance. Then I looked at it and thought, yuck, that looks like sh#$!@ :D

8*.Labour or National :DI have no issue answering this one! National all the way, gimme some of my tax money back! Get rid of the current Robin Hood govt. :wink:

1.What system of sand bed/ non sand bed do you use? 1-2"

2.Why did you choose this? Looks good

3.a)Asthecticially which type do you prefer? What I have.

b)practically which do you prefer? Ditto

4.Have you ever experienced the "crash" if using a dsb? What happened? No

6.What are the benefits/negatives you have found when using this system? No negatives. There are a lot of critters that live in the sand and some fish ,like wrasses, use it for hiding in. Gives larger fish, like puffers, something to do. Had a dog face that would turn all the sand over (by puffing) looking for things to eat.

7.Have you ever changed/considered changing your sand/no sand system? If so Why? Have considered going DSB. Will use BB in a sump tank.

8*.Labour or National Blue like the sea (on a good day)

• 2 weeks later...

1.What system of sand bed/ non sand bed do you use? 2-4cm

2.Why did you choose this? Looks, fish like digging in it and moving it around, I like sand, have had sand for 12 years without it causing any known issues

3.a)Asthecticially which type do you prefer? Some sand to cover bottom

b)practically which do you prefer? Same, but without fish mucking about with it

4.Have you ever experienced the "crash" if using a dsb? What happened?No

6.What are the benefits/negatives you have found when using this system? Have to tidy it up from time to time after fish have moved it about and exposed bottom of tank. Someimes fish manage to nearly bury a coral or two.

7.Have you ever changed/considered changing your sand/no sand system? If so Why? Used to be over whole bottom, now use a wall along the middle of the tank and sand is only in front of that. Saves on sand and allows pumps at back to blow detritus out from under reef.

8*.Labour or National Neither

1.What system of sand bed/ non sand bed do you use? 1-2 coral sand

2.Why did you choose this? Aesthetics

3.a) aesthetically which type do you prefer? As Above

b) practically which do you prefer? Shallow sand bed

5.Are you happy with the current system you are using? yes

6.What are the benefits/negatives you have found when using this system? Looks good and I feel promotes small worms and critters for food. No negatives

7.Have you ever changed/considered changing your sand/no sand system? If so Why? NO

8*.Labour or National NO