Goldfish ailment (blister-like puffy skin)

fishman1

Just recently I noticed that one of my oldest goldfish has started to develop a blister-like infection on his body just above his left gill.

I have been treating the tank with Melafix however the condition of the fish does not appear to be improving.

The skin has swollen and has gone puffy almost like a blister. The fish seems to be quite docile and tends to just lie on the bottom of the tank quite a lot.

If anyone could please offer any advice to what this ailment is and possible remedies I would be most obliged.

Regards,

Matthew

One of my goldfish did this, so check the water and do regular partial changes melafix wont hurt at all, um not sure what else to add but I am sure caryl will be along soon and she is very clever about this sort of thing.

Mine had a rather large blister that they thought might have been from an injury due to the fact it was only on one side?

Don't look at me debs! I know very little about diseases. I just have a disease book I look up to see if I can find matching symptoms :wink:

Is it possible the blister is a result of the fish damaging itself on a sharp rock or scraped against something? If a fish damages itself in this way it is then open to secondary infections.

I had a goldfish with similar symptoms. I also treated with Melafix and nothing seem to happen. I also tried a few other treatments but to no avail!

Overtime his dorsil fin had a growth on it and he never seemed to extend it. He sat on the ground for weeks and weeks only swiming for food.

Whatever he had eventually got him, his stomach started to get sunken in and he had difficulty swimming he hid his face under a rock and that was the end of that!

I still have no idea what happened to him or what he had but would be very interested to know.

I had him for approximately 5 years. Hope you find a cure! :D

Caryl,

I am not too sure if the 'blister' has come as a result of injury, however it could be a possiblity. Sometimes when I feed the fish, they whiz around totally nuts over the fact that it is dinner time and perhaps he could have bumped into a rock formation inside the tank?

However another possible factor is age. He certainly is an old fish...I can't exactly remember when I got him but he must be at least 5-6 years old now.

I am just keen to find out EXACTLY what his condition is so I can treat it accordingly.

Regards,

Matthew

No real change in the appearance of the condition - I have been treating with melafix once a day. Perhaps I should remove the carbon filter out of the tank so the melafix won't just get absorbed?

Apart from the condition of the ulcer on his skin, he's doing great - he seems quite happy and zipping around the tank as normal foraging for food and eating normally....

Ok.. Time to get a bit squeemish.. and I am only writing this to say what "I" would do if it were my fish.. so I take no responsibility for the outcome.

The blister looks like it is not caused by external damage.. so therefore is something internal.. like a fluid of sorts. From the pic, it looks to be slightly transparent.. and possibly filled with fluid.

First I would remove the fish and place in a very wet towel.

Then I would make a small incision at the crown of the blister, then apply slight pressure to drain the fluid.

Then I would apply raw Iodine to the small opening I made and allow a few seconds for it to dry. If you have no Iodine.. then use raw salt, but in my opinion, Iodine is better.

Return the fish to a clean tank for a while.

Then I would prepare a salt bath, using two heaped table spoons of Sea Salt per gallon of water.

Leave the fish in this for ten mins to half an hour... then return to a clean tank.. (possibly a QT tank)

I would repeat the salt baths every second day and watch for progress, or more fluid buildup.

The salt can be increased to up to four table spoons over a week or ten days if needed.. but only if you see infection setting in.

Use a fresh mix for each salt bath.

Nothing else should be in the salt bath treatment tank.. no other meds of any sort.

The fish will be fine in a wet towel if care is taken, but leaving the blister at this point will either mean it will get to a point of bursting... or.. the fluid will be forced further into the body... which it might be doing already.. but either way, you need to do something.

As above... just my thoughts on what "I" would do. :)

Needless to say... but avoid other tanks (wet hands.. implements etc).. that you have used for the sick fish.

Could you reduce the size of your pic to 640x480

Take care now,

Thanks Pegasus - I'm not 2 sure if I'm up for that! I wouldn't want to accidentally do more damage to the fish - I'm certainly not skilled in animal surgery!

Thankyou for the idea though - very quickly, should I isolate the fish from the tank (where there is ONE other fish - he is fine) and put him in a hospital tank where I can treat him more appropriately?

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of change really here - I have been treating with Melafix for over 1 week and no real change.

I have decided to now isolate the fish into a seperate hospital tank and treat him with salt and see how he goes - if there is no go with that, I will carry out pegasus's suggestion.

Just a comment - around the infected area small black bits have developed. He's not looking 2 happy so I am going to move pretty quickly.

• 8 months later...

Thanks for your concern Caper / Caryl...

Here are some recent photos of the fish. The puffyness has expanded and there are some small 'black bits' also appearing on the blister.

However he still doesn't seem too affected by it - he's swimming normally, eating fine and still doesn't seem to be bothering him too much. The other fish in the tank are also fine - so its not like a disease that has spread.

sharky1.jpg

sharky2.jpg

If it is necrotizing fasciitis, how do I treat this?

Thanks for your help....

Regards,

Matthew

looks like a tumour, some of my gold fish in the pond develop small tumors from time to time but usually disappears with no real treatment.

if it is a tumour it wont be an health issue and to my knowledge u'll need to cut it off :o

if u think its a blister with full of fluids try epson salt half a teaspoon per 50L

looks like a tumour, some of my gold fish in the pond develop small tumors from time to time but usually disappears with no real treatment.

if it is a tumour it wont be an health issue and to my knowledge u'll need to cut it off :o

if u think its a blister with full of fluids try epson salt half a teaspoon per 50L

So - how exactly do you go about cutting it off? By the looks of it, there could be fluid inside the puffyness and I wouldn't want to do more damage by lancing it and draning the fluid.

What I'll do it treat him with so Epsom salts and see how he goes - if theres no improvement, I might just have to try your suggestion...

Thanks fishboi

Regards,

Matthew

(p.s. at this stage I haven't put him in a hospital tank as...how can I say it...the shock of it all would probably kill him..he is an old fish and is kind of 'best buddies' with another fish in the tank....on the odd ocasion when I was cleaning the tank, I would remove the fish into a smaller tank....however they would become very unsettled and one of them (who's fine and healthy would always attempt to jump out of the tank - he did once and fortunately it wasn't a long drop and I was there to put him back in! :)