Name the plants?????

HandS

1) no sure what plant this is? is there two of a kind as there seems to be two stalks (red and green).

2) i bought this plant from Hollywood (north shore) who told me that its nick name is "Elephant Ear". let me know when you find out from them.

3) Definately Hygrophilia Polysperma as the leafs are almost green. if it goes reddish when it is near the light, then it is Hygrophilia polysperma "Rosanervig". easy plant to grow.

4) is definately Nymphaea Lotus "Green" commmonly known as Lotus with red spot. if you got one to sell, please let me know. i am interested.

5) Star Grass, commonly found in the LFS.

Happy research. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think 1 is alternanthera. 2 The common name is mouse's ear (from the shape of the leaf). Grows very slowly and needs strong light. Usually sold in the shops in the emersed form. I grow it like a potplant and it puts up runners all the time. Take the small plant with one leaf and about to put up second and plant in tank. If left to grow emersed it will grow quite rank and look like an elephant's ear,but if started small will stay that way. Lots of light---nice we plant.

Hi all thanks for your intrest, i have learnt abit about some of my plants just from googleing tha names you all gave me. After all the confusion about no.1 i went back to the person i got it off, and he said it was "Alternanthera bettzickiana red" and after googleing ie ad have to say that that is it. the plant looks like it is nearly dead now as i think i dont have enuf light, but once i have moore lights i will try and get another one and see how it goes.

Thanks again

Shane

ok, thats interesting, i got it from lfs and he gave me that name for it, i know he just got some more in stock too :-? I wonder if he knows

Hmmm.........I do not know how LFS's are in New Zealand, but here in The Netherlands they sell house and/or terrarium plants as aquariumplants all the time.