Bad Brown Problem

Twisted77

I have had the tank about 6 weeks and all is doing fine until a break out of brown. I have heard this could be not enough light but the tank is brand new with 2x 20W bulbs and is a 90L Tank. It is also close to a window but the green algae is minimal.

I have 5 Zebra Danios, 3 Neons, 3 Glowlights, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 1 Cory Catfish and 1 Blue Gourami.

Filtration is good. Underwater in a Jebo R326 Tank.

PH etc is normal and temp about 26-27C.

Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong and if it is brown algae or what? It's starting to apear on my ornaments and the leaves of the plants.

Thanks heaps.

Hi, nice to see you made it here :)

Do you have any test kits to be able to check ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

I found i was getting a lot of algae with the tank in front of a window so used a towel to shade it from natural light.

Welcome and i hope you find this site as usefull and entertaining as i have :lol:

Just a warning, watch out for MTS as it seems to be contagious LOL

Nice to be here, hope i can get some good advice

Hi there :P

Oh...you will get great advice here...the people are amazing and more than eager to help!

I have "brown" algae too...but that's because I didn't give tank good cleaning...wanted to get algae eaters so wanted to be certain there would be food for them. I just got them yesterday so will be interesting to see how they do.

I have 2 ottos in my 10 gallon and they do a great job, only thing they don't clean is one ornament so I take it out & give it a good cleaning.