My wood won't sink

Gretal

:(

It's been in the tank for about 3 weeks now, with a 5kg bag of stones sitting on top of it, but it is still floating when I take the stones off.

Before that, it was in a big rubbish bin full of water for a couple of weeks, but because of it's size, it wasn't fully submerged.

How long is it going to take before it stops floating? Or should I just give up and throw it out? :evil:

437562240fBiQCB_ph.jpg

It really depends on the piece of wood, no way of telling for sure. I got three pieces at the same time, one took two weeks to sink, another a month and the last a month and a half. Try submerging it in very hot (boiling if you can do it) water and add baking soda to the water. This apparently 'sucks' all the little air bubbles out of the wood. I used this technique to sink my last piece after I got tired of waiting.

A month and a half?!?! :o

I would put it in boiling water, but I have nothing big enough to put it in. I don't want to add boiling water to the tank incase it breaks. We don't have a bath to use either :(

I could try the rubbish bin, but the top piece sticks out of the water about 20ish cm, so wouldn't that make it a waste of time?

not all wood sinks,

i have a old jetty pillon that was totaly sunk for most of its life.when it broke off it floated straight to the top.its been in my tank for 2 years now and it still floats without being held down.

looks to good not to have it

With something that big I would drill 1-2" holes in the bottom, and find cylinders of lead to fit into it... shouldn't be too hard to find a way to embed lead into it without it being visible :D

misnoma is right .. is the best way to get wood to stay down... you can find lead on most old house roofs and industrial roofs where the top center trim meets the main roofing corrogated sheets :lol: .... but first melt the lead outside so as to burn off the toxic paint fumes that are on them :lol: :lol: .. not that I have done this before.. only surmising :lol: :lol: :lol: ........................ 8)

I was thinking if you found some of the pyramid shaped sinkers you could drill a hole so that it is a tight fit and basically bash it in (loves big hammers :lol: )

You could try having a ring around to find out where you could get some in bulk, thinking possibly engineering maybe coachbuilding type places.

I tied sinkers to a piece of wood. The sinkers aren't visible as they are covered with gravel and the wood is nice and stable. I drilled holes in the wood to give me something to tie the sinkers to.

You could also weight the wood down with rocks until it stays submerged by itself

Cheers

Judy

Thanks for all of the ideas!

I don't think I could get a bigger piece of wood in there. It was hard enough getting that bit in past the centre brace.

Think I will try the lead thing. Even if I only manage to anchor one end, and have the other end floating, should be okay.

Cheers :)