Axolotyls...

nemo's mom

Can anyone tell me the in's and outs of keeping axolotyls? Do they smell? What do they eat? How hard are they to keep? I have currently got a small tank (30 litres) with two goldfish in it but I cannot keep it clean! I do water changes etc, and have done water tests etc, but cannot manage to keep a happy balance. So was thinking maybe it was time for a total change of thinking. I have three young children who would LOVE an axolotyl, but want to know a bit about them before I go ahead and get one. Do they need company? Do you still need an UGF? Do they live completely under water or do they need a platform like turtles? Any help would be most welcomed! :wink:

Sorry, I'm no help...don't even know what they are :o I did a search here, was wondering if it was the fish??? that Mystic had posted a pic of...but can't find it.

Are you talking about keeping it in with the goldfish?

I have 3 goldfish and 2 ottos in my 10 gallon. The only thing I find gets really dirty is the front of the tank...on the bottom, in front of the gravel if for some reason I don't vacuum weekly in that spot. My water stays good ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and pH usually between 7.2 & 7.6 (leaning more towards the 7.6).

If you put Axolotls in with Goldfish you'll end up with just Axolotls. To answer your questions: They don't smell, Eat any sort of meat/high protein food, Fairly easy to keep. What size is your tank? Adults can grow up to 30cm so you'd need at least a 60cm (2ft) tank to keep one adult in. They don't need company, Don't need a UGF but do need some sort of filter (not one with too much flow though! They come from lakes in mexico that aren't very fast flowing - too much circulation damages their gills and stresses them out) They're completely aquatic - don't listen to anything people says about them walking. They can metamorphasize into their terrestrial form sometimes but it's very rare (they're neotenous, which means they stay in their larval form all their life & can breed in it). Any more questions, just shoot.

Caper, you might know them as Mexican Walking Fish?

Do a google search for "axolotl" and there are several piccies.

Keeping them would be rad, as they are becoming/are endangered in the wild. They are endemic to Mexico City, which used to be a lake, which was drained to build the city. So yeah, a little story that you could one day explain to your kids to go along with the neat little creatures :)

I have read that you're NOT to take them out on "walks" as a workmate of my husband use to do w/one he had ages ago. Personaly I can't think of anything cruler. I wouldn't mined having some but then again there are lots of fish I wouldn't mined having. Having room is another thing, and a cold water tank.

I have gotten one who is about 10 cms long (a baby). My tank is only small (35cms long) but I will be getting a larger one as he grows. I have only had him a few days and have just been feeding him cleaned worms from the garden as I am unsure of what else to feed him. Can I buy a dried food from the pet shop? Like what turtles eat? My five year old gets a kick out of feeding him, although he gives me the willy's when I have to do it! His name is Pedro (being mexican and all! :D ) and he is a dark brown/grey/black colour. I think it is what they call the wild colour? I have a book coming on Axolotl's but would like some advice on feeding in the mean time. I have an alligator which is attached to an airpump which snaps as the air is expelled from his mouth and Pedro thinks he is JUST the best! Think he may be trying to 'get jiggy with it'! :o Do they like plants added such as oxy weed? I was told that they were not very active, but Pedro is always walking around his tank and swimming etc. Does this mean he is unhappy or hungry??

You should be able to find some small pellets specifically for axolotyls at your local LFS.

They will eat beef heart but the biggest thing i found was because they are basically blind it is easy for them to overlook food so if your son is confident hand feeding it and it will take food from his hand that would be the best way to feed it, if the food is just dropped in it ends up making a messy tank. Once you get a bigger tank a mate for it wouldn't be a bad idea. Being blind it's funny the way they will walk all over each other : -)>

axo's go crazy over bloodworms .. an easy food to keep for them.. beats pellets etc.. need good filteration for them u/g + canisters heres a pic I posted before of a tank we set up for them

axob4il.jpg

my brother has morphed these guys into adults before and they are just amazing to look at ( but ssshhhhh !! thats a secret :wink: )........... 8)