September 11, 200521 yr comment_64739 Start date today....Purchased new tank. Still a lot of work ahead but fully prepped and planned. New tank will be: 2100 x 800 x 600high. (12mm glass) 1000 litres main display. Will be running 500-600 litre sump. (Not sorted yet). Photos coming. (ROCK ON BABY!!!!) Report
September 11, 200521 yr comment_64777 i bet he didnt go to tough tanks i went to tough tanks about 2 months ago price was good but still waiting for it lol this friday should have it fingers crossed Report
September 11, 200521 yr Author comment_64781 Purchased the tank from Trademe! It was professionally built for a film set in Auckland in April. Great price and being 12mm glass, I had to get it!! (Took a bit to convince the Wife of this one)... :-? But she knows it's cool!! The tank is housed in a protective timber "outer" that was used for the set. It has protected it beautifully! this will be ripped away and binned. Ive still got to build the cabinet yet. I will also use it to house my TV and Stereo units. I will be running 2 x deltec 1250 Turbos. One directly at overflow and one directly after LR filtration prior to 7000LPH return feed. This is going to be fun! Report
September 11, 200521 yr Author comment_64782 We have decided not to sell the house and hang around for another few years. I couldnt handle not upgrading for a few years!! I can add more Zoos now...Lol! :roll: Report
September 11, 200521 yr comment_64784 you going to drill it?? is it going to be ok with no bracing? Report
September 11, 200521 yr Author comment_64785 Still got lots of drilling and bracing to do yet. Will take time. Report
September 12, 200521 yr Author comment_64882 The Magician....bloody film people are weirdo's!! Report
September 12, 200521 yr Author comment_64885 Just found out it was made by the guy who supplies Hollywood, so all good! Tank being drilled in the morning. 7 holes at the base......blahdy blahdy blah. Report
September 13, 200521 yr Author comment_65113 3 x Holes drilled and completed. (45mm, 35mm and 19mm). Changed my plans... Overflow in place... Now I've been told to finish the bloody bathroom or I have to find a new Wife...... :-? have to go............... :lol: Report
September 13, 200521 yr Author comment_65217 Sump sorted.... Delivered Sunday. 1200 x 780 x 600. Fully enclosed with lids, holes drilled in fixed lid areas for returns and feeds, including float system for auto top off which will be restricted with 2 x ballcock valves to a fast dribble only. Sump includes inlet channel for either scrubber units, carbon, phosphate bags etc. It then flows dircetly into chamber one for stage one skimming. Skimmer return will then flow thru 100 kilos LR and then into stage 2 skimmer followed by 8100 LPH hour submersible return. Pic to come. Report
September 13, 200521 yr Author comment_65219 This will be an extremely simple system with very low maintenance. No reactors, electronics, Closed loops etc. just one x large return pump and submersible spray bar pump for behind rockwork followed by probably two streams. Thats it! I am basing the system on Skimming and LR only for the main filtration. Followed by small amounts of Carbon and Phos removers and possible Zeolith products and/or macroalgae growth. (All this will be happening in one channeled area). Report
September 13, 200521 yr Author comment_65235 Semi sand bed, 2 inches throughout entire display. Report
September 13, 200521 yr comment_65236 This will be an extremely simple system with very low maintenance. No reactors, electronics, Closed loops etc. just one x large return pump and submersible spray bar pump for behind rockwork followed by probably two streams. Thats it! I like that. Other than one thing though - No reactors? as in no calcium reactor? If you want simplicity / no work, consider a calcium reactor. Since I've gone that way myself I've realised just how much messing around with additives I had to do before. Report
September 14, 200521 yr comment_65251 don't under estimate water flow under rocks. if i were to do mine again, i would have even better 'under rock' circulation. i grabbed one of my streams last night and 'created a storm' in my tank. the amount of detritus that had settled in my rocks was phenomenal to say the least. if you dont do this, consider bare bottom! (ugly, but less accumulation of crud) 'cooking' ya rocks (no, not with hot water!!!) maybe another consideration - timely but seems to work. too much time and effort imo. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.