RO/DI Units

petplanet

Ok, I am thinking about importing some. Just wondering what type (stages, brands, etc) people are using. Is it just the salties or are freshies using them as well?

Tentative pricing would be:

4 Stage RO/DI 200 litre per day $270

4 Stage RO/DI 400 litre per day $425

6 Stage RO/DI 200 litre per day $350

6 Stage RO/DI 400 litre per day $700

Michael, That 'tentaive pricing' is that what you can land them at, or what you might resale them at?

I would be quite interested in one 'at some stage'. I thought they were a prerequisite for Discus, but have now learned they are not. Breeding possibly, but not growing and maintaining.

One thing I have been reading, is the use of a prefilter (usually charcoal carbon / activated carbon?) will remove many heavy metals etc before the RO - membrane(?) stage - which greatly increases the life span of the RO membrane. Is the prefilter included with 4 stage or 6 stage?

Sorry for all the questions....you wouldnt know a good website for RO Plants would you?

One thing I have been reading, is the use of a prefilter (usually charcoal carbon / activated carbon?) will remove many heavy metals etc before the RO - membrane(?) stage - which greatly increases the life span of the RO membrane. Is the prefilter included with 4 stage or 6 stage?

yes, 4 stage is prefilter (wool or similar), carbon filter, RO then DI.

michael, they would be well priced at that - i assume that is sale price. i've seen typical 4 stage usually go for around the $350 mark or higher, depending on make. 6 stage is perhaps overkill for nzl water. i have a tds meter on my 4 stage, water in is 75, water out is 0.

The four stage consists of:

1 - 1-micron pre-filter

2 - 1-micron carbon block filter

3 - RO TFC Membrane.

4 - 100% DI resin post filter

The tentative pricing is what I would sell them for. They recommend replacing all the filters every 6-12 months. If you did 200 litres a day for six months that would be 0.7 cents a litre.

Hi Michael - If you do get these within the next two months - I can put my name down for a $270 one - could also make a deposit if you wanted, might help sway your decision to import...?....Maybe if a few others here offered to do this too????

I used to think a 'proper' RO plant was a 'huge' investment. This is now looking like the same dollars as a reasonable cannister filter. I'm in!

Look forward to any thoughts you might have on this - can PM if preferred.

slightly off topic, would a R/O unit or an ozone izer? be more applicable to treat well water with a fair dose of iron in it, apparently, and a lot of algae which turns the water a rusty red colour, would obviously need some sort of pre filter and post filter? thinking of treating some of the farm water slowly and storing it in a container for the times when we are desperately short of rain water in our house tank, LIKE NOW!! ...what winter??. Thanks.

RO Water is the 'purest' water - but so pure it will not store well for very long...you might need to add chlorine? (never thought I'd mention that in these forums!)

Also, WIll it be cost effective getting a pump to push the water thru an RO plant? Or....do you have a cliff on your farm, could maybe get away with a gravity feed system? Have been reading that the best RO plants, like the ones a ship can use to make drinking water out of (lightly-moderately) polluted sea water require 'significant' pressure to push the water thru the RO membrane...

Cheers madcookie, no cliffs in close proximity unfortunately, the cost is relative to getting a tanker load of water (of unknown origin and quality) at $300 a load plus the hassle of getting the tanker close enough to the house with all the trees restricting access, possibly look at treating enough water to deal with water changes in the fish tanks and a bit more for absolute essentials only, therefore smallish quantities. Do you know much about the ozone type purifiers?

No, heard there are some quite small units around that extract O3 (ozone) from the air and use it to; eliminate pathogenic germs,dissolve harmful chemicals and organic matter, decrease cod, bod and algae, process 3 ~ 5 litres / min. apparently don't put directly into tanks. used on spa pools instead of chlorine also??

Ozone is used by some in their tanks. The thing with RO/DI is its used to prevent any impurities entering the filtered water, not just killing it. Removes any metals etc as well as anything alive. Ozone would just kill it, leaving all those dead bugs in the water, as well as allowing any metals and minerals to stay. Does't sound ideal to me.

Pie

Yeah, I have convinced the company to let me do an initial order of 25 units. Just deciding what extras we need. Might bring in the extra bits you need to plumb them in. Could help people convince their better halves that it's money well spent. Think of all that great drinking water they can enjoy.....

Michael - great idea. Most people buying an RO plant are probably going to want it for more than just fish.

Personally, the drinking water would be an added bonus. But, I suspect that for many others it will be the primary 'selling point' - especailly when getting bosses clearnace. :roll:

Will you keep us posted - and would you give members here a 'first dip' on the units?

things to look at when getting before getting these filters petplanet.

The old saying " Let The Buyer Beware" is very true when it comes to water filters as there are times that we are ashamed to be associated with this industry, the lies told by some are outrageous.

The most important thing as far as the buyer is concerned is the cartridge size, the standard size for a normal system is 9-3/4" inches or 248mm when referring to the cartridge length.

There are manufactures that rip people off, they do this by supplying a system at a reasonable price but manufacturing it with shorter housings and cartridges knowing that when the cartridges need changing they know you have no choice but to buy a replacement off them at high prices. If you do buy one of these systems you are also hoping that they stay in business and they don't change the models.

All carbon cartridges will treat for the following chemical compounds, some will treat for higher for longer. Carbon cartridges with larger amounts of carbon will treat higher for longer, cartridges with a rating for 3,000 litres will fall well short of a carbon filter rated for 20,000 litres simply due to the amount of carbon material contained within the cartridge, also watch out for cartridges with slow flow rates, a carbon cartridge with a flow rate of 2 litres per minute will not be used by the consumer at that rate as it is too slow(15 seconds to fill a glass). Most persons have their filter system set to deliver around 3.5 litres per minute, with a cartridge rated at 2 litres per minute running at 3.5 litres per minute will result in incomplete treatment simply because the cartridge doesn't contain enough carbon to have sufficient contact time for effective treatment.

There is no secret ingredient in cartridges from different manufacturers the only trick to watch out for is slow flow rates, this increases contact time and makes the cartridge look more effective than it really is and there are few people that would have the patience to use it at a flow rate of 2 litres per minute.

Chemicals that carbon will treat for Alachlor, Atrazine, Benzene, Bromochloroacetonitrile2, Bromodichloromethane1, Bromoform1, Tetrachloride, Chlorobenzene, Chlorine, Chloroform1, Chlorodibromomethane1, Chloropicrin, 2,4-D, Dibromoacetonitrile2, DBCP, Dichloroacetonitrile2, o-Dichlorobenzene, p-Dichlorobenzene, 1,2-Dichloroethane, Pentachlorophenol, Simazine, Styrene, 1,1,2,2-Tetrachloroethane, Tetrachloroethylene, Toluene, 2,4,5-TP (Silvex), Tribromoacetic Acid, Trichloroacetonitrile2, 1,2,4-Trichlorobenzene, 1,1,1-Trichloroethane, 1,1,2-Trichloroethane, Trichloroethylene, 1,1,1-Trichloro-2-Propanone3, 1Trihalomethanes, m-Xylene, p-Xylene, 1,1-Dichloroethylene, cis-1,2, Dichloroethylene, trans-1,2-Dichloroethylene, 1,1-Dichloro-2-Propanone3, 1,2-Dichloropropane, cis-1,3-Dichloropropylene, Dinoseb, Endrin, Ethylbenzene, EDB, 2Haloacetonitriles (HAN), 3Haloketones (HK), Heptachlor, Heptachlor Epoxide, Hexachlorobutadiene, Hexachlorocyclopentadiene, Lindane, Methoxychlor