Cyclops

Faran

I’m raising Congo Fry and keeping them with a culture of Cyclops, hope you don’t mind a ramble…

I’m a big fan of microworms and can’t see the worth of the trouble of BBS. I think our Congo Tetra fry would appreciate BBS as it gives them something to chase after, but they’re growing quick and strong on the microworms and Cyclops culture. Have you ever had Cyclops? Can they harm fish or fry? The most I’ve found on Cyclops is that “they are included in frozen high-quality fish food†– so are they dangerous alive? Planning on moving the fry into a smaller “grow-out†tank and can always UV-nuke the tank and kill the Cyclops off once I do. Just wondering your thoughts on it…

Beastieszoom.jpg

Cyclops on left.

Just a note - I THINK the current culture is the same as these...

mmm I don't wholely agree with what has been said :o

for starters you don't have "cyclops", I have seen the real one's at Kelly R old place there the same size as large Daiphnia (3mm-4mm) .

what you have is a form cyclops ,but not the big bruts that are really nasty.

I have small cyclops/copepods in my tanks and have no problem breeding fish and raising fry( even when I breed a lot of tetras ).

p.s bbs may seem like a hassel but I have both microworms and bbs, you simply can not compare them, bbs are that good at putting size on fry :o

keep feeding microworms, there a good food for the fry to eat when theres no bbs in the tank.

I just spent an hour catching fry to find out eggs are still hatching and fry are still laying on the bottom working on yolk sacs. They're VERY hard to see among the muck (main reason I haven't cleaned the tank spotless yet) so I'm forced to leave the tank as-is for now. Suprising turn of events was the discovery of a few small ramshorn snails in the tank as well. Considering I sterilized everything before going in that tank I'm at a loss how cyclops, worms, snails and just about every other beasty imaginable got in there....

Stu- thanks for yet more words of wisdom/experience. I'll be trying to get a BBS hatchery up and running today to crack these 90% eggs a "good friend" (have omitted his name as he got some unexpected popularity last time) hooked me up with.

Well, at least I have the fry separated for easy feeding and tank cleaning. Will be doing water changes from the larger tank quite often, with no filtration in the fry tank.