Formula to workout how many litres in your fish tank.

HelifaxNZ

This site is amazing. I think Ira first posted it but I can't remember exactly.

I use it all the time

http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

Hah! their prime calculator is useless :D It can only handle piddly small ones. It refused to check whether or not six hundred eighteen septillion, nine hundred seventy sextillion, nineteen quintillion, six hundred forty two quadrillion, six hundred ninety trillion, one hundred thirty seven billion, four hundred forty nine million, five hundred sixty two thousand,

one hundred eleven (American style wording, represents 618,970,019,642,690,137,449,562,111) was prime. It is, but it reduced the precision then told me it was divisible by two :evil: . Pathetic :D

Otherwise, that's a pretty awesome site! Thanks for the link! :)

P.S. The largest known prime is 2^25964951 - 1. This is 7816230 decimal digits long, a bit excessive to enter into a text field.

OK 240cm X 80cm X 60cm waterline divide by 1000 = 1152lts. :o

i have been told that 1lt of water =1kg if this is right the water in the tanks weight is 1152kg. pebbles = 80kg, alpine schist = 200kg, wood and other pieces = 25kg, comes to a total of 1457kg. NOW can any one tell me what the weight of the glass is? the glass is 12mm thick.

This is not totaly right

If you put in pebbles, wood, alpine schist and other pieces there is no water.

So if the wood (for example) weighs 10 kilos and replaces 10 liters of water then you cannot add it up :)

And (correct me if I'm wrong) but de weight of the water also depends on the temp of the water ans I believe water is at it heaviest when it is 4 degrees C.

So the total weight depends on the weight of the products you put in your tank and the amount of water it replaces.

douwe is correct. yes, 1ltr = 1kg (freshwater, specific gravity of zero) Water, like any material, expands and contracts when its temperature changes. Warmer water is less dense (very slighlty) and thus will exert a tiny bit less buoyant force per unit volume. The weight of the floating object equals the weight of the water displaced. To displace the same weight of water, the volume of warmer water must be larger, hence the object sinks more deeply. These factors are negligible for us however!

The important factor is how dense the weight of wood, pebbles etc is - the addition of say a piece of 10kg wood is highly unlikely to displace 10 litres (thus 10kg's) of water. depending on the type, perhaps more, perhaps less. it's hard to work out exactly, so it's just best to approximate it. however if you wanted to work it out, you need to see how much water is displaced and subtract this from the weight of all the items you've added (eg: adding items makes water surface rise by 'Y', so difference is weight of the timber, pebbles etc you add minus displacement = 'width x length x Y')

and if you want to get really pedantic, 1. no tank is filled to the brim! 2. you should be taking your W, H, L measurements from the inside otherwise subtract the area of the glass thickness if you're taking your measurements from the outside! etc.

the out side measurements of the tank are 2440 x 825 x 650.

stone takes up around 100lts pebbles say 40lts wood say 20lts so we take off 160kgs witch leaves 1300kgs (give a few) what i am trying to do is work out a total weight so i can build a stand for it.i am not to worried about the small differance between the temp weight.with in 100 or so KGs will do just fine.then i just over construct it anyway.

thanks for the help

ps.

:x if you ask anyone who has had a hand in carrying one thay just say F------G HEAVY. i would like a rough idear of its total weight befour i start building the stand

the out side measurements of the tank are 2440 x 825 x 650.

stone takes up around 100lts pebbles say 40lts wood say 20lts so we take off 160kgs witch leaves 1300kgs (give a few) what i am trying to do is work out a total weight so i can build a stand for it.i am not to worried about the small differance between the temp weight.with in 100 or so KGs will do just fine.then i just over construct it anyway.

thanks for the help

ps.

:x if you ask anyone who has had a hand in carrying one thay just say F------G HEAVY. i would like a rough idear of its total weight befour i start building the stand

My tank is about the same size and I've got 500kg's of gravel in it. It displaces approx 150L of water. I know it's 500kg's cause I bought 1000kg's and used exactly 1/2 the bags...

The tank is 300kg's, 1100kg's of water, 500kg's of gravel, 50kg's of filter, 75kg's of hood + lighting. The base must support 2025kg's!! The stand weighs 400kg so all up the floor must support about 2425kg.

8) :hail: COOL thank you.

the floor is not a problem, it's concret, but the uprights are 4x2, was going to be 20 of them but now i might double stud the 4 corners and the center. 600 certers across the length and 400 centers across the ends and the center. more than holds the roof above your head.

:hail: all help accepted with many thanks and hope ican return the favor someday :P