Oh NO!!

debs01

Ok my daughters wee goldfish is sick, last week we lost our blackmoor, entirely due to my son trying to catch it to show a wee friend while I was outside.

However since then for the past couple of days I have noticed our fantail hanging out at the top of the tank, (I know, not good).

Have checked the water and the ph was slightly high, so I have vaccuumed and done a partial water change, and now goldie is swimming around no worries, however he now has what appears to be a blister type growth near his gill and redness all aorund the gill as well.

His food was recently changed but have noticed no problems with his eating or toileting??

ANY IDEAS??

Kids would be shattered to lose another

I agree...test water.

But was wondering...hen your son was chasing the fish, is it possible that this one was injured?

Wish I could help...I just lost another fantail :(

I know nothing of Melafix other than what I've seen here...but maybe if it was an injury during the chase this could help as Snowman said.

What do others think?

Update,

Thank you all for your help, I have been doing partial changes everyday and although "goldie" is still alive and the blister and redness is gone he still isnt himself, he seems to be hanging around the bottom of the tank under the filter actually and a faint of a white sheen all over him. I have recently added melafix and still doing the changes, water ph is fine 7.5.

And kids are banned from even looking at my tank at the moment?!

Any other ideas??

Caused by the oodinium pillularis parasite apparently. :roll:

My disease book has the following;

"The skin, cloudy and inflamed in places, produces a great deal of slime"

Answer: Is the pH correct?

If yes...

the skin is infected with either parasites or bacteria.