white spot

fishy family

My poor wee clown loaches have what must be white spot. So do my blue rams I think.

I have a 100 litre tank and have treated it with white spot cure on Friday night but wondering how long till they get better? Do I have to treat again?

Also should I turn off the fluval filter at all cos it seemed to clear out the blue stuff pretty quick.

I am very worried cos I dont actually know what white spot will do to my poor fish just that I need to treat it so would welcome any helpful advice.

:cry:

I had a case of white spot a couple of days after I bought my first fish.

Keep your filter on but remove the carbon. I used a product called Ick Guard. I added the appropriate amount; 24 hours later did a 25% water change, treated again.

It stated on the bottle to "not overdose". Now because I had checked on the net all treatments were to be repeated. So, to be on the safe side I e-mailed the company.

Overdose would only happend if I didn't do water changes. They instructed me to:

-add the treatment

-24 hours later do water change

-treat again

-and so on until all the white spots were gone then treat one more day after the spots were gone

Anyway, I was lucky that I caught early and I think it took 4 days of treatment.

Clown loaches are very prone to white spot, they're quite fussy about the water conditions they live in.

But.. stress causes white spot and just the stress of moving to a new home is enough to cause it. Usually happens.

Wouldn't worry too much about it, just get it cleared up, make sure your water is nice for them and you should be ok. Personally I wouldnt go tooo hard out with the treatment on them.

Regards

LS

hi

If you turn you temp op to 30 the cicle of the white spot gose (speeds it up) faster and with a lot of the white spot treament's it can be poisen to some fish like your loughes.

one of the ingredians in most white spot cure is malachite green (I hope I spelt it right) and formalin. the malachite green is toxit to them you can use methyline bleu and a other product (don't know the name out from the top my head) this is not ass strong ass the green but it will help keeping your loughes a life try to treat them in a other tank becouse the methyline bleu can stain your silicon (make this a nice bleu coller)

I will get you the corect name's fore the treatments and how mutch to use If you whant

scalare

White spot and Ich are the one in the same.

Was going through some forums...and you have to be careful using treatments when you have certain fishies, like loaches.

So, those with more experience can guide you there.

Stress can cause white spot.

I would also think that poor water quality may cause it as well since that too would cause stress to the fish...but I'm not sure on that one...more experienced would know.

you didn't say what else you have in your tank other then the two species.

if thats all you have, they both like it HOT so don't be afraid to go to 31C ( that temp alone will kill the white spot )but if there are other fish you may like to tell us :D

:o don't forget to increase the airation of your tank as at thou's temps your water can't hold as much O2 for your fish.

good luck

oh, you didn't say if you have found out what white spot can do to your fish , incase you havn't found out it can kill them :o

aong with the clowns and blue rams i have hatchets, ottocinclus, neons and a saimese fighter.

All my nitrates and ammonia levels are nil and I have a planted tank with co2 running and lots of aeration with the spray bar.

100litre tank. I have taken out the carbon from the filter and treated the tank twice doing 25% change inbetween.

There is a definate improvement as it looked like the poor clowns had really bad dandruff. I was amazed how quickly it came on as I spend way to much time staring at the tank. :lol:

I have turned up the heat to 28. Can I safely go higher? Should I treat again tomorrow?

Really grateful for the advice. :hail:

Temperature rise does not kill the parasite

It does make it's lifecycle quicker tho and that is how they are killed when the cysts hatch and the smalls are in the water column in contact with the medication.

With the temperature up high, watch your oxy levels, they drop at that temp.

Alan 104

no i wouldn't go highter with neons they like it cool 18C to 22C.

keep up replacement medication with water changes ( it's best to do a gravel vac at the same time to remove that stage of the parasites life cycle).

how aggresive you choose to treat the infection is up to you , whether you do dayly or every second day.

I find methlene blue to be a safer medication then the "green"

good luck

Ok no to moving anyone! :o I wasnt aware about the co2 prob at nights untill reading a thread here and have been watching the fish and they seem fine in the early mornings so gasping at all everyone just mooching around. I could always disconnect the hose at the canister end when i go to bed if there does seem to be a problem.

Did a gravel vac waterchange thismorning and treated the tank with the blue stuff again and the clowns are looking much better and happier so hoping tomorrow will be the last day.

I don't know how much reading of this forum you do.

But i bet I have mentioned quarantine tanks more that twelve times.

I was going to exaggerate and say hundreds.

I am not the only one to mention them either.

NO ONE SHOULD HAVE JUST ONE TANK.

Maybe when the costs of replacing unneccessarily dieing fish, aquarist that don't quarantine will learn.

Wait till ya wipe out a tank of discus.

A Q tank is also a helluva lot cheaper to treat than the main tank.

OK!

That's it for now!!

Alan 104

no i wouldn't go highter with neons they like it cool 18C to 22C.

Neons may like the temp around 22 C, but the clown loaches don't tolerate temps lower than 26 C well. IMO neons will be fine at most temps, our tank hangs around 27.5 C and our 9 neons are fine (spawning all the time). We have 6 neons in another tank at 26.5 C and they too are fine. I'd recommend keeping the temp up and putting an airstone in there.

Also, I'd keep treating for at least two days after all signs of whitespot have vanished as the life-cycle at 28 C is around 48hrs. Our clown loaches handled full dosage for seven days (had 0.2% malachite green, 0.025% acriflavine, 0.02% quinine), BUT our anabantoids didn't. They started to get fungal infections, so if you have a spare tank that you could safely move your fighter to, it might be wise to do so. Just make sure the parameters are similar to his usual tank.

When you do finally stop treatment keep the temp above 26 C or your clowns are likely to get ich again.

**EDIT** I see you are using meth blue. I have no experience with this stuff so your fighter may be fine with that, especially if you are using 50% dosage.

Good Luck

Vapo.