Polystyrene

Gretal

I know this topic has been done to death, as I've just done a search on it.

Spent the afternoon ringing round trying to find somewhere local that had any!

Mitre 10 said they can order it in but it isn't worth it to them! Plastic Box (formerley Payless Plastics) said they had none. Placemakers said they could order some in for me, but freight for 2 sheets would be $30! :o

I did get some from work, that came out of a freezer box, but it is quite thin, and also I'd need 2 pieces side by side to fit under the tank. Is it safe to use 2 pieces, or would the point where they met become a point of stress to the tank?

Also, thickness? The stuff I have under my octagonal is an ex Chrisco freezer box and quite thick lol Probably an inch or two thick? Does it need to be this thick?

I may have to go out of town yet and try the nearest Bunnings as it looks like quite a few people have got it from there.

I'm using closed cell foam under mine instead of polystrene. It's just one of those cheap back packer mattresses from the Warehouse ($10 or something). It compresses slightly but works well in leveling the tank and providing a soft but stable pad for it. An advantage is that you can get it in a dull gray so if it is exposed you don't have a horrible white line under the tank.

Try whiteware shops as it is used as packing around fridges and freezers. No worries using several bits as long as they are the same thickness. The bigger the tank the thicker the poly. I have 2cm thick under small tanks and the 4ft, 285L, has 2.5cm thick (and in 3 bits too :wink: )

We have the Expol (you know "the penguins with the warmest feet in the world") factory just down the road so no trouble getting the stuff.

hi gretal

i am not sure of the suppliers you have near you but if you go to a packing supplier or a insulation supplier or a fridge builder (LARGE) or go to the building sites near you and look for a builder that is using poly in his building (calding or under slab) and ask where thay get it from. :P

poly dose not level the tank nor dose it take out any bows or twists;

poly is there to support the base of the tank.

it will take out sharp bumps (for lack of a better word) or maby protect the tank from a stone or nail sticking out of the stand that you did not see.

the poly is used for its compression strength.

it is your stand that needs to be flat and strong enough to hold the tanks weight.

15 mm max in thickness is all that is required for any tank say 1000 lts down

good luck

Thanks minchton. I probably will end up going out of town, as Wet Pets is the cheapest place for gravel and I need more of that. Plus I want to look at the fish :)

Won't be for a week or so as I'm still waiting for my tank stand to be built :evil:

Have you been to Carters and Benchmark in Wanganui. Lots of the breakable/scratchable panelling products they sell (for kitchens and bathrooms) come sandwiched between sheets of poly 2440x1220x20. They should have so many of them they dont know where to put them. Ask them nicely and they usually just give it away.

• 3 years later...
poly dose not level the tank

Just browsing through some old posts. I thought that it did help with keeping the tank level, obviously not then????, hmmmm must go check my tanks. I only have one that's not on poly.

Caper

Hi Gretal go here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35095 and email Phil, he will put you in touch with alot of local fishkeepers I know I have seen stacks of poly in a guys garage over there and seen him email out offers for people to come and help themselves :) I can give you some but I am a wee way away from you..

Other options are doing a ring around warehouse etc and seeing if they having any lying around in skips from packaging etc sometimes its thin so depending on tank size you have to do a few layers..

Hi Gretal go here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35095 and email Phil, he will put you in touch with alot of local fishkeepers I know I have seen stacks of poly in a guys garage over there and seen him email out offers for people to come and help themselves :) I can give you some but I am a wee way away from you..

Other options are doing a ring around warehouse etc and seeing if they having any lying around in skips from packaging etc sometimes its thin so depending on tank size you have to do a few layers..

Guess you missed this post was made in 2005 too, then? :oops: