Lotsa Questions :)

Gretal

More questions for you experts!

I currently have 3 tanks.

Tank A = 600 x 300 x 300 (roughly)

Tank B = Octagonal 650tall x 450 x 450 (roughly)

Tank C = 800 x 600 x 400 (long tallish rectangle)

Tank A has 4 goldfish in

Tank B is currently empty as I'm redesigning the stand

Tank C has 7 Neons, 3 Black Neons, 2 Glowlight Neons, 1 Peppered Catfish, and 5 Platties.

What I'm wondering is this: I would love at some stage to have atleast one Angelfish, but I've read that they aren't good community fish. So, do I use the Octagonal for Angelfish? In which case how many and what else can go in with it/them?

Or, do I use the big tank for the angelfish, and put the others back into the Octagonal? In which case how many and what else can go in with it/them?

Or, if 1 angelfish would be okay on its own with what I already have, do I leave them in the big tank, move the goldfish to the Octagonal and have the small tank for a quarantine tank? :)

If I don't get any angelfish, what other biggish pretty fish can I get that would either be okay in with the neons etc? Or am I pretty mimited to what could go in with them?

Um, thats it for now I think ;)

One angelfish can tend to get a bit stroppy in a community tank but it very much depends personality as many people have kept them successfully without problems. I have several angels in my community of gouramis tetras and barbs (plus a few others) and they leave the other fish alone. Angels are known to eat neons though and I do not have any fish that small in my tank.

Octagonal tanks are ideal for angelfish and a pair in yours would look lovely.

I've got angels in my community tank and they haven't been a problem yet. I got them when they were very small and they are still smallish. I am not sure what I will do if they start causing problems later because I really like them.

I will just wait and see :):)

Cheers

Jude

I've got a pair of fully grown Angels in a community tank with Cardinal Tetras, Siamese fighters, Clown Loaches and Bristlenose Catfish and I haven't had any problems at all with them, they pretty much keep to themselves and ignore everyone else (except when they breed - then they defend their territory rigorously). Angels might be ok with your other fish but they definately will eat anything and everything they can fit in their mouths (mine occasionally get a baby guppy snack).

After working in the aquatic industry prof for three years and as a hobbist for 20 :-? years .. angel fish are just like humans , they can be the coolest thing around or the complete b*stard .. in 2's and 3's they can pick on each other quite nastily or luv each other .. the more the better with them I thinks ... treat each one with an individual personality and you will eventually find the best buddies for the tank .. just watch those neons :o:o

anyway thats my 2 cents worth .. hope it helps..

cheers Klay.

The angel fish will look great in the octagonal as they love deep water. We have been experimenting with angels and neons together lately and provided the angels aren't too large, they don't eat the neons, so have to agree with Bluetom.

I had 5 large angels in a community tank.....the neon tetras started dissapearing.....then 2 lots paired up, and they got pretty mean to each other......I seperated the main breeding pair and everything settled down.

They definately all had different personalities.....my fav blacky angel passed on the other day.....he was the cheekiest of the bunch.....and he is a missed individual!

Thanks everyone! Well, I will definately get a couple of angels for the octagonal tank. I'd read that you either had to have 1 on its own or more than 3 as they pick on each other, but from what you guys say it sounds like it depends entirely on personality!

Won't be for awhile yet, as I'm still mucking about with tanks and stands, and will need to put my other tropicals somewhere when I get the stand made for the big tank. (And the only spare tank atm is the octagonal)

My poor goldfish will have to stay in their small tank in the hallway for now............ unless I can convince my partner we need another tank ;)