Hello from the tropics, Malaysia

Candela

Hello!

Am I the first Malaysian here? Hee hee

I am a Malaysian-born chinese. Aged 24. I love fish and plants.

I find New Zealand a very fascinating place, after I watch Lord of the Rings.

Would love to know about the plants and animals that grow on the land. Really hope to bring some of them into my tanks... Haha

So that I can make my own aquatic lord of ring... Just kidding!

Hope pals here willing to share some knowledge with me... Thanks!

currently I am studying moss growing around the world.

I have a collection of them in my tank. They are Stringy, Taiwan, Xmas, Erect, Singapore, Peacock, Spiky, Giant, Peacock, Weeping and Java moss. I am a moss freak... If you have any special moss, I would love to get some from you.

Hi Candela and welcome to NZ :D

I don't think you are the first Malaysian we have had in here but don't let that worry you.

We have rain forests here with lots of moss. A big money earner on the west coast of the South Island is the gathering and drying of sphagnum moss.

Hello Candela!

Plants...plants...did you say plants :o I have 2 tanks with only artificial plants...too nervous to try real ones...although...maybe...someday :wink: Hey, that's actually growth on my part...used to be NEVER :roll:

I bet Malaysia has a tremendous variety of fish in the pet stores...unlike where I live :(

You'll find the people here wonderful, to say the least. Since you apparently have a great knowledge of :o plants :o I'm sure you will be a great help here.

Take care and have fun!

Hi Candela,

Such a wonderful part of the world to be in if you are into the aquatic scene, as some of the best fish in the world originate from your area.

Would be real nice to see some pics of setup you have over there.

A warm welcome to the site, and we hope you find lots of interest here :)

Woo hoo

Thank you very much folks for your warm welcome.

I am really flattered by your comments about my homeland. Haha

But "grass is always greener outside", people here dream of going to new zealand for the wonderful scenery... Yeah, I am sure to visit NZ one of these days.

Singapore and Malaysia are close neighboours. But Singapore has much more advance technology in breeding fishes and exporting them. While Malaysia focus more on plants, due to the availability of land.

Jude, I bet you will be amazed by the changes since you have been here 30 years ago. Time to plan for another visit!

I would love another trip but I think its a few years away yet. It would be interesting to see if I could find the street where we used to live. There were two of them and the way S'pore has grown its possible they don't exist any more.

Its a pity that my interest in fish didnt arrive until later. I am sure I would have enjoyed the fish shops there

Cheers

Jude

I would love another trip but I think its a few years away yet. It would be interesting to see if I could find the street where we used to live. There were two of them and the way S'pore has grown its possible they don't exist any more.

Its a pity that my interest in fish didnt arrive until later. I am sure I would have enjoyed the fish shops there

Cheers

Jude

I bet you would love those fish farms... Haha...

I was amazed by the varieties of stuff they got. Really pampered for choice.

:D

Hi Candela

My mum has just recentley got back from Malaysia and Singapore.

My mum is from Malacca and i have 3 aunties , 2 uncles and about 16 consins arond Malaysia and Singapore . Mum and dad met while dad was serving in the veitnam war and maried mun and brought her out here to NZ. I should get over there sometime in the near furtue and met my realtives over there . One of my uncles breeds discus in singapore apparently they are on his porch without heating . I could only imagine if we could do that here in New Zealand.

Anyway , Welecome to the fishroom and I look forward to sharing of fishy experinces

Dave

Hey Dave,

Nice to meet you! Your dad travels over to Malaysia during the Vietnam war?

Care to share more about your stories? I am very interested about what's happening during that period of time.

Discus fish I don't really have much knowledge on them. I guess they are more resistant to heat as compared to my shrimps. I got shrimps dying everyday until I cool the water with a fan. Headache!

Hey, gimme a call when you come over the next time. I will bring you around Johor and Singapore.

:)

• 1 month later...