Plants: Plastic or live

LYNDYLOO

Hi there,

Just wondering if someone could help me with the question of , Plastic or Live Plants, have been told that alot of the fishies that I have in my 330L tank are plant eaters, Silver Dollars, Barbs and a very lrge Pleco, just bought a heap of plants off Trade Me, how beneficial are live plants to fish? must admit there's nothing that looks nicer than a nicely planted tank. I'm having to decide, do I get rid of me plant eating fish, what other fish do you guys recommend in a community tank, that aren't so into eating the plants? Thanks Lynda

I guess it depends on what your priorities are. Fish or plants. I'm sure your fish would appreciate the live plants a great deal. Live plants are a lot softer than fake ones lessening the risk of damage to fish. They also get rid of a lot of nitrates, reducing the amount of water changes you need to do. To help stop your plant eating fish demolishing your plants, you can put in some fresh lettuce leaves every day or two. We just poke a steel handled teaspoon through the leaf to weight it down and the fish love it! They still eat a few leaves of the anubias' but it has reduced dramatically.

Cheers,

Vapo

I dont have a problem with my fish eating the plants but I have HEAPS of plants, and i dont think many of my fish are particularly herbivorus. You can alway supply them with lettuce and some other vege's. My silver sharks are particularly keen on zuchinni. And Spirilina discs dont last long either.

At one stage I had difficulties with my large silver sharks uprooting plants because they zoomed about so fast.

Real plants rock !! :D

John

The fish don't really mind plastic or live but a tank is easier to maintain of nicely 'balanced' and this is better with live plants.

One of our club members has silver dollars and she feeds them lettuce daily so they mostly leave her plants alone.