Life without a tail

Melanie

I'm examining the ten guppy fry I have left after most of them died due to ammonia poisoning. Most are looking healthier by the day--their tails are unclamping, etc. I even added two new guppies to the mix to make sure they, too, didn't get sick. They're fine.

The exception is there's one guppy fry that has no tail. He has a stump instead of a tail, like it was too damaged by the ammonia poisoning.

He seems to swim okay with what he's got. He's eating. But is it cruel to let him swim around on a stump or should I put him out of his misery? :(

Or, might he grow a new tail if left alone?

It would depend on how far the stump is back to.

If it is back to the caudal base bone, then best it becomes fishfood.

But if that bone hasn't been exposed, it should grow back in time,

but normally without the colouration.

Alan 104

Don't kill it, unless he/she looks stressed and perhaps picked on. Why would you? I have one leg. People wrote me off (family members and friends included) when my accident cut me down in my prime - I was only 21. I am now more mobile than most people. Even if that fish doesn't grow it's tail back, it may be fine. Animals are wicked at adapting to adverse cicumstances. So as long as it is still eating and swimming around, there's no real need to top him.

Cheers,

Vapo

Well, yesterday he looked like he was having a good deal of trouble swimming around. Today he's doing better and may even have a bit more skin back there. It's difficult to tell.

I really don't like the idea of putting an animal out of its misery, but I'd be willing to do so if it was a death sentence for the little guy.