SPS colouration (or lack of)

chimera

As mentioned by others there are lots of reasons for acro colours.

One thing I would try is to add some zeolite. Not too much as it can remove too much organics, or release too much iron.

The zeolite will remove some organics matter which could be effect the colour of the corals.

When I use zeolite my water goes crystal clean.

NSW will also have lots of organics which can’t be tested.

I also note that having zero phosphate/nitrate is not going to guarantee great acro colours as I have had my nitrate and phosphate levels on the high side and still have some great colours.

Whilst your tank does needs 3 halides I doubt that the light has anything to do with it, as your acros are under the light anyway.

Changing bulbs from 14k to 10k will improve some acros but I also doubt that is the problem as many people use 14k.

Adding a queen skimmer is a waste of time as they don’t remove much, but I can see the benefit of getting a bigger skimmer.

Get someone to retest the phostphate as test kits can go off.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be happy if I could keep my alk at 9.6. I think that's a good value.

I've also had wild acros that have been brown for over 12 months, and then just decide to colour up. So i think some species are more temperamental than others.

Sometimes i think it's just a matter of stability and time.

Layton

I cleaned out the gunge on my Queen skimmer today....best my tanks ever looked

:lol:

i got mine for $23, so it can't hurt! it's certainly a very budget skimmer, but if it skims anything it's gotta be better than nothing. i will upgrade, just not yet.

Sometimes i think it's just a matter of stability and time

so true. my tanks been 'stable' for 10 months. if it takes any longer, i'm getting out a can of pink and green dazzle.

aye. it certainly appears to make life easier, but then again not every tank runs zeovit - many are simply superb without it. i dont want to add extra monthly cost just for the sake of it. if my acro's had coloured up but werent 'vibrant' then i'd be happy (and then probably invest in zeovit to go that step further). the fact that only one is colouring up (most others have blue tips but thats all) is frustrating. i'll invest some money in brendans pocket later on :D

Recently noticed that some sps corals sitting lower in the tank were very slowly losing colour on the tips.My 14k bulbs don't seem to have the punch to reach down lower in the tank.Admitedly,been lax monitoring all levels so that may be a factor! The top row is looking ok,but with a limited size tank am forced to spread corals lower,borrowed a 10k bulb from brendan,who reminded me that i should have been using them in the first place :lol: lights.jpg Noticeable difference! Light punches down to the sand,emphasises yellows/purples, washes out blues.Well documented that 10k brings out good colour and growth.A little limited having a pendant fixture as to balancing the yellow cast,running one white/one blue actinic is a good mix when the halides are off.will get a not so blue bulb,probably not 10k,yet!

Here are some colourful acros

My Nitrate/Phosphates have finally dropped to almost zero.

Have notice some improvements since my readings have dropped. It has taken some time to reduce the Nitrates.

It’s been 1 month since using Vodka, and bacteria from bio digest, Test so far confirms that it does work however it can cause problems like zeovit as some weaker acros can get RTN.

I am dosing vodka on a dosing pump ,was dosing 2ml a hour and have reduced to 1ml,

Also starting using a small amount of rowaphos just to mop up any phosphates from feeding.

So far so good.

Using 14k bulbs from narva.

frontss.jpg

fronts.jpg

green-acro.jpg

P1010054.jpg

P1010035.jpg

Well congrats both Westy and Reef. Sights for sore eyes!

But Reef take it easy on the phosphate remover :) Don't want Po4 to hit absolute Zero!

It's only my humble opinion but I think when fine tuning Po4 at very low levels it's better to err if anything a tad on the high side. Also, as your tank cleans up generally there will become less and less Po4 available to be removed.

Just thoughts from a guy who's personally made a few screw-ups!

My po4 is not zero yet, it is .046ppm. Been testing every day and once it gets to .008 will turn the rowaphos down or just run it a few hours a day.

I did a doubt test on the salifert as i wanted to compare it to the deltec test kit,

The salifert still has a very light colour so it does seem to test very low down, will do a test again and see how low it can test.

"... shown to cause slow tissue loss in SPS corals"

"... lead to tissue necrosis and therefore death."

"... tissue loss starting from the coral tips or the complete loss of all tissue within a short period of time (i.e. rapid tissue necrosis, RTN)."

"... can lead to tissue loss from the base, especially in weak corals and corals which are already damaged."

"... slowly progressing tissue loss from the base."

"... as well as complete loss or all tissue in certain corals during your tanks dark period."

"... fast tissue loss of an entire coral branch over a short period of time."

Layton