Science project with eels

llama boy

Hi all

im doing a science project to find out how to catch eels in a stream/creek, using a peice of pipe. We were hoping to have a live eel or two in our display. We can catch them easily, but were wondering on how to keep the in captivity for around two weeks.

Anything apreciated

Cheers

scotty

The way I see it is he would like to know how to keep them in the display for 2 weeks.

So he would need things like a bit of water current in the tank, along with bugs and gits of meat for feeding, preferably a place for them to hide, maybe duplicating a stream bank. and would need to be a darkish tank, seen as they are mostly nocturnal.

B

You could try ringing Mahurangi Technical Institute in Warkworth as they have recently bred eels in captivity. They might be willing to share some knowledge with you.

Also Auckland Zoo keeps an eel in one of their indoor displays, if you're lucky someone in their aquarium might be able to offer some advice.

These are the only people I know that have kept eels ...(successfully)

Eels are really easy to keep, the two biggest problems are

1) keeping them in the tank, they will get out the smallest hole and can walk a long way. In the 'wild' crossing whole fields to change drainage ditches

2) being nocturnal it takes a while before they are friendly enough that you can see them during the day. So don't put in too many hiding places.

For just keeping them for a couple of weeks, I wouldn't worry too much about doing anything for them, just put them in some water.

Because of what they eat (meat etc) feeding will pollute the water quickly so don't feed them unless you have to for your display, if you do feed then change some water every few days. Remember that in the wild they might not eat for weeks at a time so it wont hurt them.

Theres no point running a filter unless you have one already to go because it wont cycle in two weeks

Try and keep them where they'll be for your display.

Doing it any other way means that they will have no show of being used to their new surroundings,

and you'll need a photo to say,

"These fish are in here, somewhere, sleeping. Do not disturb"

Another thing is to just feed them a small amount so that they are real hungry and will come out to the front looking for food each time you go near their tank.

Alan 104

When you catch eels they shed loads of slime, so I would expect any holding tank to become extermely murky and unpleasant for the eel very quickly. Definitely need a fairly powerful pump/filter otherwise he might not be very happy in there and do a lot of water changes. Throw in a bunch of plants from the creek, don't worry if the water is muddy, just try to keep it as much like home as possible. Also you will need a very tight lid or mesh as has been suggested as eels are very strong and will push open a lid if it's not held on tight. How large of an eel are you talking about? And yes, I have lost eels when catching them by throwing them up onto the bank. They are wicked-fast and slither across 20m in a flash! What is the aim of your experiment? Have you looked on the net to see if anyone else has run any similar testing?

Hope it's successful for you and you don't get bitten!

Cheers,

Vapo.

The biggest thing when first trying to keep them is to use the water from where you caught them. Eels will do incredible things to get back to the water they came from. After a day you could do partial water changes with the water you wish to keep them in. After the change you'll notice they move about more, trying to climb out etc, follow up with further water changes every few days when they settle down.

Keep the water way way down from the top of your container, cause at first they'll try climbing out. Especially at night. Eel's have simular abilities to snakes when it comes to climbing things. Make sure you have a heavy lid as well. They have STRONG muscles and can push a lid off if not on properly.

They eat meat and can get used to feeding from hand if a time routine is kept up, but unless you've got small ones I wouldn't try it while you're studying them. The meat doesn't need to be specific, they'll happily take cat/dog food, but since you're not keeping them longterm try to keep it as close as they'll get in nature. Small fish, worms, insects, water snails etc.

As was said before, they project a slime when they're nervous or in new water. This is for their protection, but will make the water dirty.

I find large gravel good, with large rocks they can hide under. Keep the tank/container out from bright light, they'll be more likely to venture out during the day that way.

Hope this helps

:)