Scratching!

Caper

Here is what I did today:

-tested ammonia 0; nitrites 0; pH 7.2

Noticed that 2 of the ornaments that I cleaned the last time...looked like the paint was "loose" in places.

Soooooo wondering if this could possibly be the cause I:

-removed everything from tank

-cleaned artificial plants

-cleaned other 2 ornaments

-gave good vacuum (lot of junk in bucket when finished!)

-cleaned glass

Plus, gave the guppies and platies another salt bath.

I did not put the 2 ornaments that had "loose" paint on them back in. The last time I cleaned them (lots of algae) I used a soft toothbrush and some color came off...but never noticed the "loose" paint until now!

Now, I haven't noticed any scratching yet...but it always seems that just when I think they're not going to do it...they start.

Besides :(:( waiting to get response in beginner's forum to see :( of I poisoned them :(:(

Darn...they are still scratching...I'm going to check at the dept. store tomorrow...way back I thought I saw something there for parasites...nothing else I have done seems to have done the trick :(:(

I guess the ornaments weren't the cause; therefore, do you think after I take off the loose paint it would be safe to put them back in the tank. Not now, but in the future???

Thanks Caryl! Yes, the ornaments were for aquariums...so it's good to know that I can use them again if I want to that is!

Internal parasites...never thought of that...I was thinking external meaning something on the fish, although I can never see anything. Since they were scratching I just figured it would be something on the outside causing it!

If it were internal, then the salt baths wouldn't make a difference would they?

I'm going to see what I can get tomorrow. I hope I'll be able to get something before whatever it is kills them :(:(

Just checking on the net...one of the things that is a sign of internal parasites is pale stringy poo...and I did notice a couple of the fishies poo like that.

Listless, loss of appetite...not yet!

Symptoms of internal bugs (should have used the word bacteria rather than parasite I think) are a hollowing of the belly, red blood streaks under the surface, gills pale and eroded, loss of appetite, listlessness and a darkening of colour.

Most common parasite is white spot of course. The fish will have rapid gill movement, flick and rub against objects, then break out in tiny white spots (so they look like they have been sprinkled with salt).

External parasite symptoms include the flicking and rubbing, rapid gill movement and red, irritated areas of skin.

I do not know a lot about fish diseases as, touch wood, I have not had any on my tanks for years. I have been looking at web sites for info :wink:

The only thing I could get was "Parasite Clear" by Jungle Labs it's supposed to remove internal and external parasites. They are tablets, and I just put the first dose in.

It was a Jungle product "Ick Guard" that I used when my goldfish had Ick and it worked really well...so I'm hoping that this will too!

I will & thanks for the help.

One question though...I can't seem to find anywhere...approximate time it would take for spots to appear for Ick...not that I think that's it because I'm sure I'd have seen the "salt" by now, wouldn't I?

scratching? ... do you mean flashing ... glancing off rocks etc ? .. sounds like gill irritation/damage ... do regular ( 2nd day) 50% cured water changes and increase oxygen to tank and see how they fair ... from what I have seen once gill damage has occured they will stay that way no matter what ..sorry to say this but if they don't improve , you know what you have to do

Yes, that's what they are doing. Bought the Parasite Clear as per directions: 1 dose Tuesday, 28 hour between doses, 25% water change & 2nd does last night (Thursday).

Last night one of my minnows was scratching/flashing...hadn't been before, that I had seen anyway. But the others didn't seem to be, unless they were when I wasn't looking.

The platy that was first to start...has been resting quite a bit...not eating alot...but still swimming. He's the one that I said had 2 "silver" spots, I guess it would be on his gills...not far from his eyes...but I wasn't sure if he always had them or not. Anyway, just checked him, looks like the gills are little red...and those spots are...well, don't see them, but can still tell where they were if I can get a good look...maybe a sign of healing...do you think?

What do you mean by gill damage, in terms of how they would be damaged?

I just can't take anything else bad happening today :cry::cry::cry:

Update:

Fish have stopped flashing...waiting to hear from the company (makes the Parasite Clear)...if I also have to keep treating for...darn, can't remember off hand...its either external or internal parasites.

Mickey (the first one down with it!)...seems to be much better this evening (if the other platy & guppy) would stop following him so much :roll: There not being aggressive...just with him quite a bit.

His dorsal fin...looks a little jagged...but he is not keeping it clamped like he was......and he's more active (still staying at bottom of tank though)...oh wait, he was inside the fake stump thingy this morning so he must have gone up a bit :-?

But, hopefully things are going to improve.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP :hail::hail::hail::hail:

There are a few parasite species. About 9000 parasite/fluke species have been described & named. Scratching is a sign of these, as stated earlier all fish are hosts to a wide range of parasites.

Its like has anyone ever felt itchy after being for a swim in a lake? Its more likely schistosomes, from ducks, these have penetrated your skin, then dying, inducing a hypersensitive allergic reaction. Just a nuisance really.

Treatment; 50% water change, pay particular attention to the gravel, filters & glass. This is probably the best step, reduces parasite numbers.

Formalin/malachite green is good for treating parasites/flukes.

Use salt at a higher dose rate for 3 weeks. 100grams per 40 litres.

In the long term its about 1gram per litre for guppies.

Salt is good for reducing parasite problems too, & Bills first post on salt is spot on, I have used salt for years. I tend to under dose, as over dosing can cause problems. Yes BK catfish aren't the greatest fans of salt, I think form meory 1tbsp per 80litres, having said that I have bristlenoese in with africans they seem to adjust fine to the higher salt.

If using a salt bath, have fish in bucket till the fish start to loose balance, then returned to the tank. But if parasites are still running loose in the tank, they tend to get re infested.

Frenchy :D