Tired of BOC gases deal on Co2? Check this -

wasp

This one's for calcium reactor users who, like I used to, have to "rent" a Co2 bottle from BOC gases.

Now I found these guys - Gas Cylinder Testing, 17 Westmoreland Street Grey Lynn, phone 378 9243, who will sell you a 2nd hand cylinder.

The cylinder holds 5 - 7kg of gas, comes with a brand new pressure test, is fully loaded with gas, and costs 200 bucks. When it runs out they will refill it for 10 bucks.

Compares very favourably with BOC who continue to extort 12 bucks a month rental you never own the bottle, plus 30 odd bucks to refill.

When I set up with BOC I paid 150 odd bucks for a 1 year rental, plus 30 odd for the gas. Total around 180 bucks and I don't even own the bottle I have to keep paying rent.

I hate telecom style market stranglehold extortion rackets - go Gas Cylinder Testing!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been advised by moderator that I cannot post someones phone number without their permission, so had to edit the previous post.

However I will seek their permission on monday, and then re post the number, in the first post.

I now have their permission, the number is 378-9243 (Auckland). Just one thing they are still moving into new premises, still in and out a bit and not very good at answering the phone yet. So be a little patient with them it will be worth it in the long haul.

I think some of the previous phone looking up confusion was that they are listed in the book under Nova Fire, they use both names. Sorry I couldn't clear all this up earlier, had to keep you all waiting...

Well I've been and picked up my cylinder, all exactly as described, a 2nd hand cylinder with a new pressure test. This one is loaded with 6.5 kg of Co2, I gave them $200.00, it had to be cash.

Now the bit I'm looking forward to, removing BOC from the list of people who take my money! :D

Yes, well I'm not exactly rich at the moment, but 200 on this will save me money so I HAVE to do it!

Also, I now have a calcium reactor that can handle large type media, I'm going to try self collected beach shells see if it works. If it does and there are not too many contaminants, I'll be maintaining calcium and alk at an extremely modest cost.

When I got my bottle I picked up an old CO2 fire extingusher from a recycling place for $10, new valve installed for $100, cert and fill $40.

If you want to do this try and get an old steel 1, instead of the newer ally 1's (like I did), just because they are more likely to pass the certification.

Yes, well I'm not exactly rich at the moment, but 200 on this will save me money so I HAVE to do it!

Also, I now have a calcium reactor that can handle large type media, I'm going to try self collected beach shells see if it works. If it does and there are not too many contaminants, I'll be maintaining calcium and alk at an extremely modest cost.

You could also try coarse bird grit from a pet store. It's crushed oyster shell, pretty cheap. Not as cheap as collecting a bunch of free shells, but how much is your time worth?:) Of course, collecting shells could be more fun...

I'm going to try self collected beach shells see if it works.

DONT

oyster shells contain way to much crap, i found this in more then one publication and will be more then happy the dig it out for you, lots of phospates and more. also (i think its in eric bourneman)it seems the calcium is not as user friendly to corals.

Hmmm.... Spoilsports :x

Oh well I guess I'll have to accept you are right though, marine shellfish do live in the high organic areas.

I wonder why the calcium would not be so user friendly for the corals though? But if the article is too hard to find don't worry I'll take your word for it.

Hmmm.... Spoilsports

Oh well I guess I'll have to accept you are right though, marine shellfish do live in the high organic areas.

I wonder why the calcium would not be so user friendly for the corals though? But if the article is too hard to find don't worry I'll take your word for it.

if you still want to use it thats ok, just pre-order more stuff from brendon, sure he'll be happy. money mummm. :D

will still look for the articles for you

No, I won't use it, I'm sure you and Layton will be right. Plus, if it was that easy, people would already be doing it I suppose.

Just to me, my reefkeeping is primarily limited by money. So I'm always looking for a cheaper way.