Whitespot

misnoma

yay, another whitespot thread.

Seems the clown loaches have this in my large tank, and some of the other fish (incl discus :/ ) are showing signs of it, but nowhere near as bad yet.

So... today was waterchange day, so I vacced the gravel as per usual, and changed about 15-20%

I've turned the heater up some, temp was 27, it's now 28, how slowly should I raise this? and where to?

I have sea salt here, should I add some of this to the tank (there seem to be differing views), also how much if this is a good idea.

Also.. should I be trying to find someone up here with spare white spot medication now, or will tomorrow afternoon be okay? (this will be the soonest I can possibly get to a shop)

Hummingbird mentioned he uses copper sulphate - is this available in any form at a supermarket? (that I can get to tonight :D )

I think that's all my questions.. info below is for your reading pleasure:

Tank: 4x2x2 430L

Inhabitants: discus, guppies, kribensis, SAE, clown loaches, skunk loaches, bristlenose and some random killie fry if they haven't been eaten.

Parameters, pH 7, Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0.

To my knowledge, copper sulfate isn't available in any supermarkets unfortunately. Don't turn up the temperature until you have some treatment in the water, because more heat means they go through their life cycle faster - good when you have treatments because they get to the kill-able stage faster, but bad when you don't because your fish get re-infected more and more.

*sigh* well today the gf and I made the decision to euthanise the other two clown loaches in the tank. They were the only fish left with any sign of whitespot (the others have looked fine for 3-4 days). The poor clowns were utterly coated in it - fins disappearing etc.

Hopefully things will settle down, and sometime in the future we can get more clowns, they were so fun :)