Auckland reef tank

reef

Give you a basic understanding of how the system works.

The system consists of two columns:

Column 1 is the base system consisting of components to minimize nutrient levels.

Column 2 deals with coral coloration and food in a nutrient poor system while maintaining “near natural“ conditions.

The base system involves the effective reduction of nutrients and maintenance of water conditions close to the natural water parameters. This column consists for the following components:

1. Balanced mix of zeolites (ZEOvit)

2. Microorganism solution (ZEObak)

3. Combination product of bacteria and coral food (ZEOfood)

4. Bacteria food (ZEOstart)

5. Constant filtration with activated carbon

The following requirements are also necessary for the ZEOvit method to be successful:

6. Efficient strong skimming

7. Sufficient lighting

8. Optimization of nutrient addition

9. Addition of elements at low levels

10. Optimum water parameters (Ca, Mg, KH, salinity)

11. Regular weekly water changes

The goal to be achieved:

The purpose of the system is to create a low nutrient environment. The goal is to reduce measurable levels of nitrate (NO3) and phosphate (PO4) without lowering the levels of important minerals, like calcium (Ca), magnesium (Mg) and carbonate hardness (KH), such that addition of these trace elements is minimal.

Yay, Pacific Blue asked the question :D:bow::bow:

I'm in the same boat PB, lots of discussion about it on here (obviously a couple of schools of thought about it) but I didn't know what it was all about either :oops:

Thanks for the link and post jetski and reef. May need to look into it a bit more and make my own decision. (then I can join the pro or anti-zeovit camp on the forum and send barbed comments on here :D:D )

Just kidding everyone - each to their own - I just don't know anything about it yet so am neither pro or anti :roll:

careful with that stuff, Skippy. It seems to me to be a product that can work well but requires alot of work, alot of expense, and seems to me personally to be unnecessary. It's not just a few additives, it's a whole different way of running a reef tank.

No offence to zeo fans.

Easy Puttputt :D Wasn't about to rush off and play guinea pig with my tank :D . Just been a lot of discussion about zeovit on here with there being two very obvious sides. It seems that folks are really right into it or right against it.

I've got no space for any new toys under my tank anyways (Oh, I want a fishroom :(:( ) and my next big buy will be more flow and control. Have been looking at Streams on the net. Could be a while before that happens though :(

Well as pretty much the "other side" of the zeo debate, my position is that it clearly "works". However it is also more than obvious how it does work (either by design, or otherwise); essentially by inducing corals to bleach, and then trying to control the extent and effects of the bleaching with chemical foods / nitrogen sources. A casual reading of zeovit.com will show that.

Now the interesting part, and the part which is up for debate, is how exactly it does this. I have my theories. Others think i'm crazy, and part of some anti-zeovit propaganda group :D

If you're up for that challenge and are happy with the risks that come with it, then go for it. But personally it's not my cup of tea.

Layton

Well, quite a surprise to see you give a very good explanation and a plug for Zeovit, Reef :lol:

And an even bigger surprise to see Layton admit some folks see him as a crazed anti Zeovit propagandist! :lol:

Never crossed my mind Layton. Honest! :D :lol: