skimmerless tank

Brianemone

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah the clowns are nice, but from the colours of alot of the sps the tank (by no means the most colourfull ever but healthy) it looks fairly stable and even with what i would consider a high stocking level.

not saying im going to do it (not yet anyway) but nice food for thought.

No experance with it my self, but there are lots of people who have run tanks without skimmers for years without problem. wouldn't do it myself, but people do, and do it well.

Like I said before Cliff in duniden run his tank without a skimmer, and i've only seen photos but it looks pretty good from what I have seen.

Its the MIRICLE in the MIRICLEMUD that makes it work.

Pie

Its the MIRICLE in the MIRICLEMUD that makes it work.

It's the MUD (mostly) in MIRICLEMUD that makes it work.

Some corals fear better than others in a skimmerless tank. SPS don't fear well in phosphate fluxing systems, because of their their different structure to soft coral.

There is nothing I like about any "theory" behind running tanks skimmerless. It's just illogical to me.

Layton

I agree and disagree.

I wouldn't consider doing it myself. I also think the skimmer tanks are far more likley to be successful.

HOWEVER. There are just too many tanks out there without skimmers that are established and look awesome to discredited it.

So its the results I am impressed with, but the thinking behind it does't compute for me. Proof is ultimatly in the pudding.

Pie

There are heaps around. Coral magizine seems to feature quite a lot.

Kosh's tank on UR is, in my opnion a great tank. This guy has a great outlook on his tank, and he setup about the sametime as me.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/inde ... =4&t=28872

Was it this months or last months RC that was skimmerless? And one of the recent TOTM on UR.

Pie

Here is a MM tank.

MM can work well, however you do need a large sump and have enough Algae to keep up with the nutrient load.

Maybe having a small skimmer with MM should work well. Most people using skimmers with MM find that their skimmers stop skimming.

http://66.218.71.231/language/translation/translatedPage.php?lp=de_en&text=http%3a%2f%2fwww.korallenriff.de%2fmark_re_ansimi.html

There is still no escaping the fact that sand beds and mud just cycle phosphorous (and other compounds). They can't get rid of them.

They accumulate detritus and once full (which can take months to years, depending on particle size and physical size of the bed) they release it all back into the water.

Algae only uses specific, and relatively small amounts of of the crap that accumulates. Physical removal of detritus by syphoning or skimmer is the only way to get crap out.

Here is some food for though:

Why connect an inherently dirty system (sand / mud bed) to a system which you are trying to keep clean (a sps display tank)?

Seems counter productive.

Layton

I’m not sure the argument about maintaining a very low nutrient environment is not a spurious one. We find coral reefs in very low nutrient environments and therefore assume that they require very low nutrients to survive. We then construct various theories as to why this should be so. What is usually ignored is that, in nature, it is only in very low nutrient environments that coral can out compete seaweed. Coral reefs don’t survive in medium to high nutrient environments because they get smothered by weed there. In our tanks we control the weed either by hand or by, again, maintaining very low nutrients.

Excessive nutrients in any environment can lead to pollution but I suspect that as long as weed is kept under control, most corals will remain quite healthy in a medium nutrient environment. Perhaps they might not be as colourful in as in a low very low nutrient environment, but we only want the colour for our benefit, not for theirs.

Still, I will carry on using a skimmer as I am too lazy to put in the extra effort to maintian a tank without one. I also don't have any burning desire to prove to myself that it works, or otherwise.

Steve

There is still no escaping the fact that sand beds and mud just cycle phosphorous (and other compounds). They can't get rid of them.

Sand beds/plenums, calurpa and o2 exchange can release phosphates.

Sandbeds (live) also consume detritus with all the live animals etc living in them including bacterria.

Why connect an inherently dirty system (sand / mud bed) to a system which you are trying to keep clean (a sps display tank)?

Seems counter productive.

Not sure that a sandbed is dirty (I have no love for the mud, but have respect for its results).

Lots and lots of tanks out there with SPS and sandbeds that are stunners. Again results speak volumes.

SteveA - The low nutrient environment more closely resembes the natural environemnt for the SPS. As for colour only being for our benifit, not sure if thats true, but it mostly is. I want my corals to resemble how they look in the wild, which is not chocolate brown. Coral survival is easy, coral thriving is my goal.

Pie

……The low nutrient environment more closely resembles the natural environment for the SPS. ……Pie

Yes it is, but is that because they actually need it themselves, or because it is the only place that can out compete seaweed?

I think dark chocolate brown with blue tips is quite nice, in fact I have one like that and would be a bit disappointed if it faded.

ChocCoral2005_0723.JPG

Steve

Yes it is, but is that because they actually need it themselves, or because it is the only place that can out compete seaweed?

I think millions of years living in that environment means that is what they need/require. If you gut out an area with seaweed corals don't just pop-up. There is no doubt that algae can choke corals (florida for example) as the high nutrients (phosphates and nitrates from errosion of wet leands beacuse of beachfront property) are killing their reefs.

I think dark chocolate brown with blue tips is quite nice, in fact I have one like that and would be a bit disappointed if it faded.

No doubt. If a coral is supposed to be brown, then so be it. What you don't want to see is the blue acros brown because they are in poor environments.

And remember, low nutrients doesn't mean low food.

Pies