Brittle star query....

klaymann

After seeing the nasty big olive green brittle stars ( 12" +) at Jansens and being told by an young employee ( I might add couldn't be bothered to get one out of the tank to sell )that they are fish hunters (I always take what they say with a grain of salt anyway ) ... but makes me think about my ones ... have 6 black brittles( 6" - 8") that are doing no damage except for one that stripped a small leather ( put in spare live rock tank now ) .... now are these blitters going to cause me any probs in the future .. i know that no one will touch/eat them so thats good but don't want to see that revearsed :o ]

So has anyone got these or had any things happen while keeping them??

Your black ones are likely OK, especially at only 6 inches. I have heard of them attempting to catch fish, but not succeeding.

The green ones are definately fish hunters, I've seen mine try and come close, and a guy on Reef central has seen his eat three fish, he actually saw it. It is obvious from the hunting technique that fish must be the desired prey.

But your black one will likely stick to leftover food.

I had one of these which grew very fast.I cut back on its feeding to slow its growing.This was ok at first but then a branch of xenia would vanish without a trace.They love meaty food.Fay has one she hand feeds and i dont think it has caused her any harm.Jetskisteve took his out because his snails started to go missing.You just cant trust them.

I have approximatly 15 brittle stars of different sizes up to large (bodies about the size of 4 50cent pieces!

They eat snails, not had trouble with fish.

I have read about green ones, and the green ones have a reputation as eating fish, the rest, as I understand it are fine.

good luck

Pie