Hi

eileencarr

This is my first time on this site. It was recommended to me today by a person I bought a fish keeping data base off. I have had fish for a few years now. I started with a 3 foot community tank with all sorts in it. Learnt some lessons along the way. I then set up a 4 ft Malawi tank. Then a 5ft by 2 ft tank with 2 oscars, 2 severums, a parrot, convicts, T bar cichlids and some others. I am now tired of my community tank and have resettled all those fish in a 3ft tank in my classroom (I am a science teacher) and I am starting to set up a discus tank. So I have three large tanks at home and 2 3ft tanks at school. My partner reckons it has become an obsession, but I just love my fish. I am looking forward to meeting other people who love fish as much as I do, and learning more especially as I set up my discus tank as any advice on what to be careful of would be appreciated.

Yes I am eileenc2 on trademe. My family are close to Matamata in Putaruru. In my Malawi tank I have zebras (many different colours), kenyi, giraffes, Labeotropheus trewavasae, electric yellows, auratus. I am also raising dolphin, lionhead and peackock fry in a separate tank as well as babies produced by the others in the tank. I bought the peacock, lionhead and dolphin babies on trademe.

Thanks Pegasus for telling me about this site. It looks like I will spend lots of time here. I have already found out lots of great information.

The auratus I got when I first started the tank. I bought a whole set up on trademe as the person wanted to have marine fish. The lumpheads and lionheads were bought on trademe but from different people.

Hi Eileen,

You asked about discus and there's plenty to know. I'd recommend hitting up the local library or Google for tons of info on these amazing fish. But let me start off with a few basics. pH 7.0, water temp 28-30 degrees C, 25% water change at least twice a week. They prefer to be alone but you can get away with adding a few fish to add activity. Keep in mind that many fish will be uncomfortable in those water temps and you'll have to get black neons or other high-temp tolerant fish.

Lessee, what else. They're very sensitive to changes in water conditions. "new zealand discus man" sells them for very good prices, as does "discus haven" and of course the usual randoms on TradeMe.

Here's our tank:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=7892

Hi there...and greetings from Cape Breton!

You have MTS really bad...I was warned about this disease :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a newbie and the people have been wonderful here to say the least.

Take care & have fun!