Which Discus Disease ?

freshwest

I have a six month old colbolt discuse with a couple of white specks surounded by a cloudy patch in the middle of her petrel fin . I have also noticed she sometimes clamps the fin to her body and moves around using only one fin .

Have been looking around the web and in books but cant find a match .

Fungi ? Parasites ? or Bacteria ? .

Other than this patch she is in great shape . Layed her 4th batch of eggs earlyer this week .

Any ideas ?

:hail: from new zealand discus man

Hi gavin..Phill here :P 8) :wink:

if you had remembered the other day i would have said use salt..

plain sea salt,rock salt..

one level teaspoon to 4.5 liters.. old rules but good for most skin problems..

:evil: to pesky fish problems..but should go in about a week or less..

if protozon may need a bit more push..but to shove i have seen the same in discus tail and gone ..well mostly gone..most likely got a belt..

cheers Phill Collis :hail: to all discus keepers.. :P

Thanks Discusguru .I agree Water changes is the key to healthy discus . This problem is due to no water changes for a week ( away on holiday ) .

I dont think she is a runt .I talked to phill the discusman and he has found the same thing , some spawn young then stop and dont start again until mature . Maybe something to do with the Asian breed strains ?

Hi, How big is your fish? A lot of discus that come from Asia are fed with hormone in order to bring out the colour and pattern before matuarity so that the fish look good and sell well. That is the same reason why a 6 mth old discus start breeding.

Word of cautions, stay away from small fish that are showing full colour and pattern to avoid dissapointment latter on.

Last but not least, Asian Discus Strain are not small fish.

Cheers,

ron

My discus are alittle larger than a CD .

The colour of the fish when i brought them were nothing special . But now they are maturing thay are looking great .

The other reason they maybe pairing and spawning is i only have 5 discus in a 700 l tank which is filtered through a wet/dry filter , 30 % water changes 2X weekly and feed small amounts 4 times aday (home made ox heart , prawn and veg mix ) . With a feed of white worms every other day . The cloudy fin is on the improve seems like the salt did the trick .

Hi, for a 6 mth old and and size slightly bigger than a CD is pretty good. Did you raise the fish up from baby? With only 5 fishes in a 700 ltr tank, I think it's time to go shopping and stock it up :D

Post a picture of your tank if you could. Always admire nice discus tank :o

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

ron