lights! camera! action!

Dodgy Guy

ok sorry for the corny subject line! there is no camera or action!

just wondering about lights. i would like to bring the colors out in our fish more. a UV light would be reall cool BUT are there any side effects to the fish? also would a blue light (non uv) bring colors out any better or worse? we dont wanna give our fish cancer or anything! :o

cheers

Dodge

A uv light would work great but you will have to batter them first LOL

Seriously a uv light will kill your fish pretty quickly, imagine your self being under a tanning light for 12 hrs, uv lights kill germs which are living organisms so will do the same for your fish, a red or maybe a blue bulb would compliment a white light bringing out the colours.

To start with Just add some MORE lights. Cool whites will be fine if yuo just want to see a bit more colour.

But what colour gravel have you got?? IMO dark gravels bring out the colours more. At the very least it stops light being refelcted into your eyes and you get to see more of the fishes colours.

HTH

John

• 2 weeks later...

this post got me thinking...

:)

I have light gravel in my planted tank but would like dark.

Not wanting to uproot everything just wondering if it would work to do a layer of dark over the light? Would that make a difference, I was thinking of putting it in a handful (scoop) at a time.

Did that make sence or am I up too late. :oops:

oops :oops:

well i thoguht if they have them in night clubs.....

so a blue light would be better?

I think you are refering to black lights, they look purple but don't really emit light. But when they shine on certain colours they glow. Like the lights used to find invisible security inks.

Wish I could add aother light to my 29 gallon tank. The one thing I like about the incadescent in my 10 gallon is that the entire tank is bright so no matter when my fishie are I can see them just fine, not so in the 29 g.

My 29 gallon has the 1 florescent light, which took a little getting used to after the incadescents in the other tank. But, the only thing I don't like about it is if my fish are near the front (or not directly under the light) you don't see their colors like you do when they are right under the light :(:(:(